IPAD suggestions

We are in the planning stages for iPad support and have a number of new ideas to bring to the device, but we want to hear from you! What features do you want to see in MobiLinc on the iPad? How do you see yourself using MobiLinc on the larger screen format? Drop us your thoughts!

Re: IPAD suggestions

Postby joehuber » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:49 pm

I love the SmartLinc hardware but their software is really poor. I'd like to find a better app that can configure scenes and devices.

Since the default SmartLinc software is so bad, it would be great if you could enhance MobiLinc to support configuring SmartLinc's timers. I'd happily pay for a full featured SmartLinc app that's well done. Here's what I'd needed:

- Timed On/Off (sunrise/sunset support would be nice)
- Multiple event times per device/scene

The current SmartLinc software already does that (poorly) but gets the following all wrong.

- No ability to duplicate then edit an existing scene
- No ability to show which devices are used in a scene
- No ability to delete a scene nor room
- No ability to manually enter the device ID
- No ability to delete a device from a scene without knowing what devices are already linked and then pressing its button. And SmartLinc won't tell you which devices are already linked to that scene!

These are pretty basic usability issues that a nice UI could easily avoid. If I could simply delete a scene or a room and have any associated links automatically deleted I'd be happy enough.

Let us know if you're interested in exploring this further.
joehuber

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the feedback. Some of these enhancements have been on my mind as well to add to MobiLinc for the SmartLinc platform. I will take these into consideration and see what makes sense for me to take on and add to MobiLinc.

I appreciate the suggestions and what you would find worthwhile in an app for SmartLinc. MobiLinc is mostly focused on the command and control of your INSTEON devices and doesn't get into much of the configuration space for any of the Home Automation controllers MobiLinc supports. This is something I expect to support to some degree over time.

Thanks,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby midrar » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Do you have a time frame of when the Mobilinc HD will be released in beta or final from?
midrar

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi midrar,

I'm on track to be launching Mobilinc HD beta this upcoming weekend with a planned approval from Apple by Feb.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby midrar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:27 pm

How do we get to be on your beta list? Also, will the upcoming release be for the iPad, iTouch, or both? Thanks
midrar

Postby AdminWes » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:52 am

Hi Midrar,

I don't have a formal way to submit to be on a beta list. Apple gives developers only a limited number of device slots to include for beta releases, and as such I haven't pushed to try to broadcast to include everyone simply due to the limited number of slots I have to offer. However, I do want to include anyone who asks to participate in the beta. Please send me your UDID and I will make sure you are included when I launch the beta release.

You can find the UDID by connecting your iPad to iTunes, selecting your iPad, and then clicking on the serial number to change it to the UDID. Please email me that number to wes@mobileintegratedsolutions.com.

MobiLinc HD is a Universal Application that will run on the iPad and iPhone/touch devices. When MobiLinc HD is running on an iPhone/touch it looks and feels like MobiLinc Pro. When running on an iPad, MobiLinc HD offers up the specific iPad interface for MobiLinc.

Thanks!
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mlennox » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:40 am

Apologies if this has already been answered, but the previous post would imply that Mobilink HD is designed to run on both iPad and iPhone. If so, does HD replace Pro? The reason I ask is that I'd like to purchase Mobilink Pro now, but I see myself purchasing an iPad in the near future and would want to run the app on both devices.
mlennox

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:59 am

Hi mlennox,

MobiLinc HD is a separate app from MobiLinc Pro and will have a different price point (still in research).

MobiLinc HD will run on the iPad AND the iPhone and iPod touch back to OS version 3.1. What I did is include the MobiLinc Pro featureset for running on the iPhone. If MobiLinc HD is running on an iPad you will get the new iPad interface. MobiLinc Pro will remain an iPhone/touch app only at the lower price point. After MobiLinc HD is released I will be flowing some of the UI elements from HD back into Pro.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mlennox » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Will there be some way to upgrade from Pro to HD with an "upgrade" price point. Again the reason I ask is that I'd like to get the functionality on the iPhone now, but I see myself moving to an iPad as my primary control platform once available.

What is the timeframe for the HD release?
mlennox

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi mlennox,

Currently I do not have plans to offer an upgrade from PRO to HD. I don't believe there is a technical problem in doing so, however, Apple seems to not approve updates that do this. Do you or anyone know of an existing app that allows users to pay for an upgrade to run on the ipad?

The app model Apple is promoting is to keep everything in one app at one pricepoint or to sell different apps targeted to the platform. I'm attempting a blend of the two so that users can purchase only the iPhone version at a lower price point if that's all they need.

I understand that there are folks like yourself caught in the middle waiting for the ipad version to launch. I'm working as fast as I can to get it into apples hands. My target it to release to apple for approval this weekend with approval from Apple in early Feb.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MobiLinc and the Apple iPad