IP camera home and out

Submit feedback, comments, and support help here.

IP camera home and out

Postby Goblin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Well, I'm sorry to bother you again, but .... yes, I know how to setup a router, no-ip and all this stuff, but seems like my Cisco/Linksys EA4500 router (a "modern" by the way) doesn't support "IP loopback",
i.e. while at home on WiFi I can't get to the SmartLink or a camera using externalstatic /dynamic IP address :(

So my suggestion is ... why don't you add "External IP host/port" option to the camera settings?
MobiLinc does a great job identifying home/out location (no problem with SmartLink btw), so if some poor guys like me, who don't have a router with IP loopback support, can just enter either external static IP or dynamic DNS hostname/port into the camera settings and voila! No headache :)

Thank you!
Goblin

Re: IP camera home and out

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:14 am

That surprises me about that router. It should support IP Loopback. Check to see if you have "Filter Internet NAT Redirection" turn on. If you do, that's the problem or contributing to the issue. Turn that off and see if you have better luck. I'd also check for any firmware updates available.

As for auto detecting, it's not possible to do with IP Cameras in all scenarios. The reason it works well with the SmartLinc is MobiLinc asks the smartlinc.smarthome.com site if there are any SmartLinc's on the same network as the iOS device. If the answer is yes and it matches the MAC address of the known SmartLinc then it's "local". If the answer is NO then MobiLinc knows to use the external IP address.

With cameras, there is no such common web interface to ask for local or remote. There are other ways we could do this, but would require a custom solution for each of the thousands of cameras on the market and would greatly increase the cost of the plug-in. Since most routers support IP Loopback we haven't invested that kind of time for a solution like this and instead just use the one IP address and rely on the IP Loopback feature.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Goblin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:24 am

Found "Filter Internet NAT Redirection for IPv4 Internet Only" on the Security -> Firewall tab, will test as soon as I get home. Will update. Thank you.
Goblin

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:37 am

Great, let me know how it fares. Also, please remember to check for the latest firmware if that redirect NAT option doesn't fix it.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Goblin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 pm

AdminWes wrote:Great, let me know how it fares. Also, please remember to check for the latest firmware if that redirect NAT option doesn't fix it.

Wes

Confirmed, un-checking that box allow you to access local "servers" using external address. This is what manual says:
"Filter Internet NAT Redirection for IPv4 Internet Only
This filter prevents a local computer from using a URL or Internet IPv4 address to access the local server."

Thank you, Wes!
Attachments
8-9-2012 5-30-17 PM.jpg
8-9-2012 5-30-17 PM.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 11996 times
Goblin

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Excellent!
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments