I/O Linc - INSTEON Garage Door Control & Status Kit

Submit feedback, comments, and support help here.

I/O Linc - INSTEON Garage Door Control & Status Kit

Postby hunter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:44 am

I am having problems with the status showing up on MobiLinc. I can open and close the garage door just fine but the status is never right. It will show sometimes different but it is just after I push the button. On the actual device it has a little green light that comes on that proves status that the door is shut and off when the door is open. This is one of the main reasons I bought the system so when I leave I don't have to turn around a double check to see if I left the door open.

I also have the EZFlora INSTEON/X10 Sprinkler Controller, I have not installed it yet but I was wondering if there is a way to set a timer with this system. I haven't found a way to set a timer on the lights, unless you go into Smartlinc, but then what is the point of having the MobiLinc.
hunter

Re: I/O Linc - INSTEON Garage Door Control & Status Kit

Postby AdminWes » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Hunter,

Here's how the IO Linc works with MobiLinc. If the IO Linc is linked to the SmartLinc and MobiLinc downloads this information on initial Sync, then that could be your problem. The SmartLinc treats the IO Linc like any Insteon Switch. So you only see the control line of the IO Linc and not the status sensor.

1. First thing, remove the IO Linc entry from MobiLinc by performing a left to right swipe over the IO Linc under My Devices.
2. Tap "Delete".
3. Tap the "+" icon to add a new device
4. Enter you friendly name like "Garage Door" and enter in the INSTEON address of the IO Linc.
5. Select IO Linc from the Module Type list.
6. Tap Save.

MobiLinc will create two entries, the control line (so you can open and close the garage door) and the sensor line for the door status.

When you control the IO Linc for the garage door, the IO Linc is probablly setup to be a pulse on for 3 seconds then off. So in MobiLinc once you tap ON for the garage door, the contol line will report on, but if you exit the details area to go back to My Devices and then re-enter the Control Line it will say OFF again. This is correct. Tap ON and the door will close.

To get the sensor status, you must go back to My Devices and tap on the Sensor Device to force MobiLinc to refresh the status of the sensor. Since the SmartLinc does NOT send out real-time status messages, polling on the device by tapping on it is the only way to get the current status from SmartLinc.

MobiLinc does support all 8 valves of the EZFlora but does not support the timer feature at this time. This is on our to-do list for support.

Please let me know if this didn't help with the issue you are seeing.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby rawmean » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:59 pm

I did the sync with SmartLinc and that's how I imported information about IO Linc into the app and the app found both the sensor and the controller associated with IO Linc.

The sensor not updating is annoying. I think the problem is that you use the web API to connect to Smartlinc. The right way to do this is to use Insteon API on port 9761 to connect to SmartLinc. It's much faster and more reliable and you can retrieve the status of the sensor that way. The Micasa app uses native Insteon commands so we know it can be done.
rawmean

Postby AdminWes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:26 am

Hi rawmean,

When we set out to do the SmartLinc implementation a few years ago we had the choice to use the open port you suggested on the SmartLinc or go through the web interface. The primary reason we opted NOT to use the open port was that this port is completely unprotected. No username or password are required to connect, listen, or control any device in your home. The web interface is protected by username and password authentication.

We as a company are completely unwilling to sacrifice the security of our customers by advertising or encouraging customers to open a hole in their firewall to an unprotected port on their SmartLinc giving anyone who connects complete control over their door locks, garage door, lights, devices, anything.

Our position is to not use technology or methods the put our customers at risk. If you have this port open in your firewall router and connected to your SmartLinc, please understand the risk you are taking by essentially leaving the front door open to your home.

If you would like to discuss further, please contact me at: wes@mobileintegratedsolutions.com

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments