Should Mobilinc write to the Smartlinc?

Submit feedback, comments, and support help here.

Should Mobilinc write to the Smartlinc?

Postby riptyler » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:20 am

Insteon Network setup in new house, with all new devices, was done using Mobilinc and Smartlinc and all devices appear to work using Mobilinc interface. However, when I use the Smartlinc web interface no devices appear to be setup (nor the "rooms" that were setup under Mobilinc). Is this normal? My last house I used an ISY (it stayed when I sold the house) and the ISY was updated by Mobilinc. Having downsized to only 30 or so devices I thought I could get away with using the Smartlinc (mistake?).

Also, all device links (controller/responder) have been check using a PLM with Houselinc software from my server, so the Insteon network appear to be in good order.

If this is not what others experience I presume that a wipe and re-synch may do the trick - suggestions?
riptyler

Re: Should Mobilinc write to the Smartlinc?

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 am

Hi riptyler,

Here's some background to see if this will help clarify what may be happening:

Under the ISY platform, if you use MobiLinc to add INSTEON devices, MobiLinc will coordinate with the ISY to add these into the ISY controller and MobiLinc.

Under the SmartLinc platform, if you use MobiLinc to add INSTEON or X10 devices, MobiLinc does not write these links out to the SmartLinc controller and will directly address these devices using the SmartLinc as the INSTEON communication gateway.

MobiLinc does not create scene rooms in the SmartLinc.

In the SmartLinc web interface the SmartLinc deals solely with scenes. It doesn't work with individual devices. What most people do is they assign one device to a scene for device control. But under the hood the SmartLinc only works with scenes through the web interface for ON/OFF control.

If you use HouseLinc to manage your devices with the SmartLinc, HouseLinc actually rewrites the link database in the SmartLinc controller which in turn causes the original links to lose key identifying information MobiLinc relies on to identify the type of INSTEON device that is linked to the SmartLinc.

We do not recommend using HouseLinc to manage the SmartLinc if you also intend on using MobiLinc to sync with the SmartLinc and use individual device controls. Scenes work just fine. For devices, you'll need to delete and re-add the devices you want to control in MobiLinc.

If your devices are linked to the SmartLinc and have rooms setup/assigned to devices or groups of devices then performing a full sync with MobiLinc will sync the MobiLinc configuration to the current SmartLinc configuration. Note, when performing a Download All sync, any devices that were directly added to MobiLinc will be lost in favor of the current SmartLinc configuration.

We recommend folks start considering upgrading to the ISY if they have more than about 10-15 devices as the ISY handles status in a true Real-time sense plus the additional rich programming features found in the ISY over other INSTEON controllers.

Hopefully some of this info helps,

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby riptyler » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:07 am

Wes,

Thanks for the info and the quick response. I've actually used 3 generations of ISY in 2 different homes, just cheaped out on this move to downsize (will eventually turn this into a rental). I think I'll just bite the bullet and go back to an ISY and move the Smartlinc to my other home in NC where I'm just starting a gradual migration to Insteon devices (when I finally retire there I'm taking my new ISY with me this time!).

I have another question - I have ML Pro on my tablet and ML Pro on my wife's iPad - if I go to the ISY is there a way to synch the setup so both are basically the same?

Also, will a fully configured ISY just synch to both if I set it up via the ISY's interface? I thought it did before but I just can't remember.

Thanks,

Rip
riptyler

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Rip,

Yes, if the ISY is fully configured it will appear on any and all iOS/Android devices that are syncing for the first time to your ISY.

If you make custom changes to MobiLinc by changing icons, on/off/command names, etc you can duplicate one iOS setup to all your other iOS device by going to My Settings and picking the Copy option on both devices. Set one to receive and one to send. The receiving iOS device will completely wipe it's database in favor on the senders DB. This includes all profiles, devices, scenes, programs, custom settings, etc. Everything gets copied over to the receiver iOS device.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby riptyler » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks, I've just ordered another ISY (my 4th one), but I'm not giving up my tablet for an iPad just to synch customizations to the the ML interface... might switch her version to HD though - heard it was "GUIer". Any chance of HD for Android?

Rip
riptyler

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi Rip,

Not sure where you ordered your ISY from, but we've got some really aggressive prices on ISY's: http://mobilincstore.com/system.html

We're considering HD for Android. The Android tablet market hasn't been able to compete with the iPad market. We're watching this and I expect with the upcoming holiday season, we'll see a surge of 7" tablets making their way into consumer's hands. If the market starts picking up we'll re-evaluate our plans.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments