Prospective new user - Questions

Submit feedback, comments, and support help here.

Prospective new user - Questions

Postby av8r » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi,

I would very much like to add Mobilinc / Smartlinc capability to my home system. Can you tell me if this will work for my situation?

Basically, my home is equipped with X-10 dimmers and a couple of fluorescent switches, and an appliance switch also. 15 modules in-all. Presently, I control the dimmers/switches via X-10 HR12A remotes and a RR501 transceiver.

My home receives WiFi from WiFi routers which broadcast publicly within the campground I am located in. The signals are poor, so I make use of a Netgear WiFi range extender which receives a decent signal from a chosen access point, and rebroadcasts my own SSID with good strength. I also secure my extender's "local" WiFi network with WPA.

My laptop, iPhones, iPad, and WiFi-enabled Epson printer are all on my local WiFi network, and all do work well together. Is there any reason that a Smartlinc 2412N would not also work properly via the range extender's SSID / network also? The range extender does have an Ethernet port for hardwired connection to a device, and I'm not currently using that port for any devices; it is vacant and available. I don't think I should have a problem with this configuration, but I'm sure you would have more knowledge on this than I.

My main interest would be to control my system via Mobilinc on iPhone, within range of my extender's Wifi. Control via cellular/Internet does not really matter to me, and I imagine that would not be possible as I don't have access to port configuration on the campground's access points / routers.

Second question, in regard to obtaining a 2412N controller. I've seen some units offered and photos show labeling on the units marked Ver. 2.0. Are these suitable? I'm assuming that's a hardware, not firmware version, and I can update the firmware should it be necessary..?

Thanks for your advice!!
av8r

Re: Prospective new user - Questions

Postby AdminWes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi av8r,

That's quite the network setup to deal with. I don't think you are going to have much luck with the SmartLinc in that challenging network environment. Especially if you can't port forward. Also, the SmartLinc has been discontinued by SmartHome, so tech support on that product will be difficult.

Here's what I'd recommend. Give the ISY-994i controller a try with our MobiLinc Connect cloud service. As long as the ISY can reach the internet and MobiLinc can reach the internet, you'll always be able to connect to your ISY with MobiLinc.

The ISY, by default, is an INSTEON controller, however, there is a software upgrade for the ISY that allows it and MobiLinc to manage and control X10 devices as well.

Here's the combo kit you would need: http://mobilincstore.com/system/isy-994i-plm-combo.html
Here's more info on MobiLinc Connect: http://mobilinc.com/MobiLincConnect/

Please let me know if I can help answer any other questions.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby av8r » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi Wes,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize I'd need to port forward for the SmartLinc even if I only wanted to operate it via my local WFi(?) For example, my range extender has a webpage interface which I can log into via my iPhone's browser.. And of course my WiFi printer doesn't require Internet access and I can operate it fine via mobile devices on the local WiFi network..

But just to confirm, you are saying that a SmartLinc unit -would- need to access the internet regardless if I wanted to use it via WiFi only, AND _would require_ port forwarding configuration changes despite the fact that iPhone/iPad etc can access the Internet, stream, etc via the extender's network with no configuration needed? From what I understand, the Ethernet connection on the extender allows game consoles and such to connect and work. Please know I'm not trying to be obtuse ;) ... I just don't have the specific experience with the unit's requirements and want to confirm. If this won't work for me, I'll have a look at the ISY package you linked, but I have a feeling it's going to be cost-prohibitive for me :( ...Was hoping this would have been an affordable route to go with ;)

Thanks again!
av8r

Postby AdminWes » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 am

Hi av8r,

To be honest, I don't really understand your network situation. So I can't say for sure if what you want to do is possible in your environment. I can say that the SmartLinc is just like any other Ethernet connected device. If you can operate other network connected devices in your network environment, then the SmartLinc should work the same way.

I do know that with the ISY and our MobiLinc Connect cloud service, as long as the ISY can reach the internet, you'll be able to use MobiLinc to reach your ISY no matter where you are. No port forwarding required.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments