Executing a Command Via 3G

Submit feedback, comments, and support help here.

Executing a Command Via 3G

Postby smokegrub » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 am

When I use wi-fi to execute a command it is carried out in mere seconds. When I use 3G it can take a minute or more. It did not take this long when I was running Insteon. Thoughts/suggestions?
smokegrub

Re: Executing a Command Via 3G

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 am

There could be a number of factors at play here.

Background: MobiLinc works to gather status on all devices and thermostats. This polling isn't don't by other apps (no device status in other apps). The downside is there are more commands to send/receive and that doesn't play well on cell connections.

If you have any devices that are not responding this can lead to long execution times waiting for the Smartlinc and destination device to respond. Check under My Devices to see if you have any device that is slow to gather status or doesn't display status. If you see any of these, delete them by performing a left to right swipe over the device row and tapping delete.

One workaround is to only use My Scenes for control instead of My Devices and My Scenes. This would configure MobiLinc more like the INSTEON app where only scenes are used. This will speed up the commands and responsiveness via 3G. To do this, delete all devices under My Devices by performing the left to right swipe over each device.

Hopefully this helps,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby smokegrub » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:57 am

Wes:

Bear with me as I am a novice at this. When I look under My Devices the devices that are currently installed show their status after a minute or so. A number of devices are only used at Christmas and aren't connected to the Switchlink--should I erase these?

If I erase all devices from My Devices will I be able to get them to re-display if I need to see them at some tim ein the future?
smokegrub

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:30 am

Yes, any device not hooked up (but MobiLinc *thinks* it needs to gather status for) will have an adverse impact on your setup. Please remove these devices from MobiLinc. You can always add them back in by tapping the "+" button at the top of the My Devices page.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby smokegrub » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:23 am

I have deleted All Devices from My Devices, and I am using My Scenes to execute commands. It still takes over a minute for a command sent via 3G to work. Any further suggestions?
smokegrub

Postby AdminWes » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi smokegrub,

Nothing specifically. Can you describe to me exactly the steps you do after launching MobiLinc including how long each step takes? I might have other suggestions depending on what exactly is happening.

So, just for clarity, there are no devices under My Devices? If true, the one thing I can suggest is to force quit MobiLinc to clear out any caching MobiLinc might have regarding your old devices. To force quit, double tap the home button, find MobiLinc in the task tray, press and hold the icon till it shakes, and then tap the "-" button to close. Wait 10 seconds and then launch MobiLinc again.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments