Reports of MobiLinc not working on iOS4

Information Regarding MobiLinc and iOS4

Re: Reports of MobiLinc not working on iOS4

Postby designz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:45 am

I have the recently downloaded 2.17 and am running 4.1 and since updating I have found that Mobilinc loads the default settings more reliably however there seems to be a change in how it is accessing the wifi. The loading spinner up in the top left corner now seems to constantly spin and my battery life is taking a hit. Also I'm now getting more timeout connection errors then before which seem to go away if I hit the home button and reload Mobilinc.
designz

Postby AdminWes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:34 am

Hi designz,

Thanks for the feedback you are experiencing. A few questions to help me understand your setup:

What home automation controller are you using? The ISY, SmartLinc, or PowerLinc?
With the timeout connection errors are those over WiFi or 3G?
Do you have any Insteon devices listed in MobiLinc that you have trouble (or can't) control due to the device missing or disabled?

Thanks,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby designz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:18 am

Hi Wes,
I'm using Smartlinc. The timeouts are over wifi. Yes I have an old switch listed that is broken. I don't want to go through the hassle of reseting the smartlinc and then having to re-link all of my other working controllers (spread over two buildings) so I simply labelled it as "not used". It would be nice if I could delete it from Mobilinc after a sync. I realize the Smartlinc still has it in memory and this may cause some problems, but seeing as I don't use the Smartlinc interface other then when initially linking a device, it would be very helpful if fixes didn't involve reseting the Smartlinc and the ensuing hassle of relinking everything - it gets tedious with the number of devices involved and the distances involved in my case. If it was simply a re-boot then there would be no problem, but its not a simple reboot.

One other future request is a cleanup of the Device on-off screen. Now it pops up with the red "Cancel" button. When I turn the device on or off the screen goes away and then pops up again. I get rid of it by hitting Cancel, but this is very counter intuitive for me as I don't want to cancel the previous command (I know it doesn't cancel it but it seems to imply cancelling the session). Other then that its good app that I'm happy with. Regards Designz
designz

Postby designz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:55 am

Hi again Wes,
A little more info for you. The timeouts keep happening. The fix I've found is to power off the iPhone and reboot it. When it starts up again it connects fine and works for a while. This is when the connecting wheel keeps spinning in the upper left - it also flashes while its spinning and this is when the battery seems to be draining. If I hit the home button then the battery drain stops. Go back into Mobilinc and it connects fine but once again has the flashing connection. So it seems to be something with how Mobilinc is connecting to the Wifi. Regards Designz
designz

Postby designz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Wes, I found out how to delete an unused device from the other forum and I've stumbled upon the auto close favourite pref in Settings so disregard those comments please. Regards Designz
designz

Postby AdminWes » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:49 am

Hi Designz,

Ok, good, so you found you can delete devices by performing a left to right swipe over the device or scene name to remove it from MobiLinc. Once you did that did that change the behavior of MobiLinc at all?

The condition you are describing tells me that there is at least one device in your setup that MobiLinc can't get satus on and is pinging the SmartLinc for that status over and over again. Eventually you will get the timeout error letting you know that MobiLinc was unsuccessful.

If you are up for a little debugging, try this:
- Launch MobiLinc and perform the left to right swipe over the devices you think aren't responding or have been removed.
- Close MobiLinc.
- On the iPhone 4, double tap the home button to bring up the task list. Tap and hold the MobiLinc icon till it shakes. Tap the minus sign to force close MobiLinc from memory.
- Verify you are connected to your WiFi network.
- Launch MobiLinc and go to My Thermostats (if you have thermostats) or My Devices page (if no thermostats) and just wait for MobiLinc to gather all device and scene status info. Don't issue any commands yet.

Is MobiLinc successful in this case? What I mean, is does MobiLinc gather the status of your devices and thermostats and then turns off the spinning wheel indicator? If not, can you pinpoint what device it gets hung up on?

If you are still having problems I could log into your system remotely to see what's going on as well.

One other question, how many devices do you have? I find that over about 10 devices, you are better off (and will be much happier with your sutomation setup) if you go with the ISY controller from Universal Devices instead of the SmartLinc. I can give you more details if you are interested.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby designz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi Wes,
I've played around a bit and think that my problem, as you thought may have been simply related to Mobilinc looking for the unused devices. Once I deleted them from Mobilinc's database the timeouts appear to have stopped. The quick timeout may simply have had something to do with the unused device coincidentally being listed as the first device in the smartlinc's database. I noticed this after I deleted it and then did a sync and it showed up with its IP address listed at the top of the devices. Maybe I'm wrong?

The update scroll wheel in the upper left still flashes when first opened but stops when all of the devices have reported their state and the battery drain seems to have stopped. I'll keep you posted if the timeouts come back again.

To answer your other question I have 15 devices linking to the smartlinc - the ISY controller info is noted. Thanks for the help. When time allows, it may be to your benefit to have someone put together a FAQ or mini manual covering things like deleting unused devices etc. That would help stop people like me from bothering you with things not working because *my* setup is wrong. Regards Designz
designz

Postby AdminWes » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:15 am

Hi Designz,

Great! Glad to hear you've got your setup finely tuned and it's all working again.

I agree with having a FAQ to list out the features of MobiLinc that aren't obvious. Thank you for this feedback and I will make sure that this happens.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby AdminWes » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:03 am

Hi Designz,

I've updated the SmartLinc Forum and added in several new "How-To" walkthroughs:

Delete a Device, Folder, or Scene:
http://www.mobileintegratedsolutions.com/utilities/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=266

How to Add in a X10 Device:
http://www.mobileintegratedsolutions.com/utilities/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=267

Troubleshooting SmartLinc and MobiLinc Part 2:
http://www.mobileintegratedsolutions.com/utilities/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=268

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby designz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:39 am

Hi Wes,
I'm still getting periodic timeout errors on the wifi but after clicking ok all works as it should. I'll try to determine some patterns of when they show up. D
designz

PreviousNext

Return to MobiLinc and iOS4