If you would like to connect directly to your Mi LightStyle unit while outside of your network please follow these steps:
1. Find your external IP address by going to http://www.whatismyip.com
2. Port forward the Mi LightStyle communication port.
- Log into your router and find the page option in the router that allows you to port forward data to an internal IP address.
- Here you need to enter two pieces of information. Enter in the internal IP address that is assigned to Mi LightStyle, and enter the port to forward the data on. Mi LightStyle defaults to port 80 for HTTP access and port 443 for HTTPS access. The recommended practice is to use port 443 as this will be a secure connection (HTTPS).
- If your router supports an external facing port and internal facing port, set the external and internal port to 443. Some ISPs may block access to port 443. If you experience problems connecting, try setting the router's external port to 500 and the internal (Mi LightStyle facing) port to 443.
3. Enter info in Mi LightStyle app.
a. Open Mi LightStyle app and go to the "My Settings->Lighting Controller" page.
b. Select HTTPS for "Connect Method".
c. Enter the external IP address for the "Secure - https://" field from step 1.
d. Enter "443" for the Port or "500" if you changed the external facing port setting on the router to 500 from step 2.
4. Tap the Sync button and Mi LightStyle app will attempt to sync with Mi LightStyle over HTTPS.
5. Once you verify you can sync with your Mi LightStyle over HTTPS, you can set the Connect Method to "Auto". This allows Mi LightStyle app to make the best connect decision depending if you are on your local Wi-Fi (HTTP) or if you are connected to a remote Wi-Fi access point or cellular connection (HTTPS).
One thing to note is that if Mi LightStyle reboots it may be possible Mi LightStyle will receive a different IP address then what is currently assigned. If that happens then your router will forward the data to the wrong internal IP address. You have two options here:
1. Re-enter the Mi LightStyle IP address in the router to forward the data to the new IP address.
2. Tell Mi LightStyle to use a fixed internal IP address that doesn't change from reboot to reboot. This can be done on the Configuration page of the Mi LightStyle unit through the Configuration Admin Console.