Adding X10 Devices

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Adding X10 Devices

Postby cjones01 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:26 pm

Just received the Insteon eqpt I bought from Mobilinc. As I have a legacy X10 systems, I started by adding the X10 devices to the ISy99 - it's not going well, but maybe I don't understand something. I was able to add one X10 device (a light controller) but that was it. Now when I press the set button the LED never starts flashing. I thought this thing was supposed to work with X10. The one device I was able to add can be controlled by the ISY99. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
cjones01

Re: Adding X10 Devices

Postby AdminWes » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi There,

You can add X10 to ISY/MobiLinc two different ways:

ISY:
In order to add X10 devices directly to the ISY you'll need to purchase the X10 plug-in from Universal Devices. Once purchased you can add X10 devices directly to the ISY and then MobiLinc will auto-pickup the new X10 devices for command and control.

MobiLinc:
If you don't want to purchase the plug-in from UDI or are looking for only MobiLinc control of X10 devices you can add X10 devices to MobiLinc. MobiLinc will then issue the X10 commands to the ISY when you tap ON or OFF.

To add X10 to MobiLinc go to My Devices and tap the "+" button in the upper right corner. Add in your Friendly Name, X10 address, and select X10 Switch or Dimmer from the Scroll selector. Tap Save and you are done. Repeat for each of your X10 devices.

Note, with X10, you don't "link" X10 to the ISY using the set button. Either add X10 to the ISY using the UDI X10 plug-in or add to MobiLinc directly for direct control through MobiLinc/ISY.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby cjones01 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi Wes, thanks for the quick reply. I have a better understanding of how X10 works with the ISY and Mobilinc now. Spent today installing two thermostats and a wall switch - all of these are working both with the ISY and Mobilinc on my android phone, with one exception. Only one thermostat shows up on the phone. Both can be controlled through the ISY web interface, but when I select "My Thermostats" on the phone it goes straight to the living room thermostat, and I can't seem to access the bedroom thermostat.

Again most likely something I don't understand but any suggestions you would have would be appreciated. I'll spend some time tomorrow wrestling with the X10 issue.

Thanks,

Chuck
cjones01

Postby cjones01 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm

OK so I managed to get Mobilinc to see both thermostats - I ended up deleting the profile ( I have two, one for each house) and adding the profile again. This time both thermostats were there. There is something strange though - on one of the profiles when I add a device under "My Devices" there are fields for both Insteon and X10, as well as the device type table showing both insteon and x10 devices. In the other profile it only shows X10 - and the device type table only shows X10 Dimmer and X10 switch. Again, what did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Chuck
cjones01

Postby AdminWes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:33 am

Hi Chuck,

Check the Host Type on your profiles under My Settings->Lighting Controller. My guess is that one profile is setup to talk to a SmartLinc which is why you'd see INSTEON and X10 listed when you try to add a device.

The other profile is probably set to use the ISY. The ISY profile will only allow you to add X10 devices to MobiLinc.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby cjones01 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:34 pm

You nailed it - one house uses a Smartlinc, the other uses the ISY I bought from you. You really know your stuff!
Everything is now working - Insteon and X10. Since I just want to control the X10 devices and not schedule them on or off I just use the Mobilinc on my phone - works like a charm. It does seem a little cheesy for Universal Devices to advertise the ISY99i as "affordable standalone home automation solution for your INSTEON/X10 installation" (from their website) and then charge you an additional $49 to actually work with X10.

Thanks again for the help getting my system up and running. Mobilinc is head and shoulders above other remote control software I have tried and the support you provide is hard to find in this day and age.

Best Regards,

Chuck
cjones01

Postby AdminWes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks great Chuck! I'm glad everything is working for you. Enjoy!

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments