Paddle Icon Not Working

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Paddle Icon Not Working

Postby chilli_pepper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:56 pm

I have an iPad running the latest Mobilinc and having problems with a particular dimmer switch. That particular Switchlinc V2 dimmer that does not respond to the Mobilinc paddle icon for either on or off. If I click on the gear button and control the device from that menu, it kind of works. On/Off work. The status slider will work as long as you don't push the ball completely to the left or right. Push the ball completely to the left or right, nothing happens.

If I monitor status from my computer while connected to the ISY-99, the paddle icon changes done on Mobilinc are visible from the computer connection...albeit the dimmer module does not change. However, when the slider status ball on my iPad is pushed completely to the left or right, no change on either the computer or the switch.

If I control the switchlinc dimmer from the computer, the dimmer always responds.

I have 2 other Switchlinc v2 devices in the house and they seem to work fine from Mobilinc...so I'm left scratching my head. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
chilli_pepper

Re: Paddle Icon Not Working

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 am

Let's try a couple of things to see if this clears it up:

- On the switch that is acting up, tap the gear icon and go to Advanced Options. Please verify that there is text for each of the Custom Command Names.
- Go back to the Main Device Page and tap On and Off. Does this update the device and MobiLinc correctly?
- The slider anomaly you are seeing is how the slider is currently implemented in the Apple OS. If you slide your finger with the slider off the slider area beyond full on or off this doesn't result in a dim command being issued as MobiLinc thinks you wanted to cancel the dim operation. If you slide the slider right to the edge of full ON or OFF and release, then MobiLinc will issue the ON or OFF command to your device. Anywhere in the middle results in the device being dimmed.

If none of these suggestions are helping, try re-syncing with your ISY under My Settings->Lighting Controller.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby chilli_pepper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:38 am

Hi Wes,
No luck yet with your suggestions. Here were the results from your suggestions:
Step 1) verified each custom command has a name. Each name is the default (i.e. BRIGHTEN = BRIGHTEN)
Step 2) I'm assuming this is a step after making changes to step 1? I even customized one of the buttons (ON = "ON 1"). No change in button behavior.
Step 3) slider button - OK I understand this function now. Thanks.
Step 4) I tried it. No change in button behavior. I did a full Download All action.

A couple other details:
- The Switchlink that does not respond is older than the other 2. When I query it in ISY Web interface it claims it to be a 2476D Switchlink Dimmer v.37. The other 2 are as follows:
- 2476D Switchlinc Dimmer w/Beeper v.38
- 2476D Switchlinc Dimmer w/Beeper v.40
- I recently upgraded the firmware on the ISY to 3.1.17 from 2.? (I forget the exact version but it was the latest in that series). I don't believe upgrading firmware is the issue, it is just the timing of finding this issue. I'm trying to organize my home configuration after a couple years of adding devices.

Thanks.
chilli_pepper

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks.

I'm not sure I'm following what the issue is. Let me ask some questions to get some clarity to the problem:

In MobiLinc if you tap the paddle switch or press the ON button under the Gear icon what does MobiLinc do?
What does Admin Console do?
What does your device actually do?

Using Admin Console if you press ON what does Admin Console do?
What does your device actually do?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby chilli_pepper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:32 pm

<<In MobiLinc if you tap the paddle switch or press the ON button under the Gear icon what does MobiLinc do?>>
If you tap the paddle switch, nothing happens on the switchlinc device. If you press ON under the gear icon, the switchlinc device turns ON.

<<What does Admin Console do?>>
I'm assuming 'Admin Console' is the ISY Admin Console? If so...
The ISY99 Admin Console shows the status as transmitted from Mobilinc, both from the paddle and 'ON' under the gear icon.

<<What does your device actually do?>>
This is answered in my responses above, But for completeness sake:
- The switchlinc device responds to the 'ON' button from the gear icon.
- The switchlinc device does not respond to the paddle icon
- The switchlinc always responds to the ISY Admin Console.

<<Using Admin Console if you press ON what does Admin Console do?
What does your device actually do?>>
Not sure I follow this question. If I press ON from the ISY Admin Console, the switchlinc performs the action. Mobilinc status changes to reflect the action.
chilli_pepper

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for the details. It appears like everything is working as it should except for possibly the switch/paddle interface for this one device.

Ok, more questions (Sorry, I'm not seeing the same behavior here):

- When tapping the paddle interface if you happen to move the finger away from the paddle on releasing, MobiLinc will think you wanted to cancel your action and not send the command. Just something to be aware of.
- When you tap the paddle for ON or OFF do you see a small waiting spinning indicator appear and then disappear in the middle of the paddle switch in MobiLinc?
- How about a double-tap for Fast ON or Fast OFF? Does that work from MobiLinc? Do you see a spinning indicator after the double-tap?

After re-reading your responses something isn't clicking for me and I hope you can clarify this: If you tap the paddle switch on in MobiLinc, I think your response was that you see the ISY Admin Console reflect that the device turned on. If that's true, then the ISY got the command to turn the device on from MobiLinc and let the ISY Admin Console know that the device should be on. Now, if the device didn't actually turn on, there's something else going on.

In cases like this try performing a query of the device through the ISY Admin Console or through MobiLinc by tapping the gear icon and dragging the popover window down and release to activate a "Pull To Refresh" or a query to ISY for this device. Try the paddle again.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby chilli_pepper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:26 pm

More embedded responses but no joy yet.

<<- When tapping the paddle interface if you happen to move the finger away from the paddle on releasing, MobiLinc will think you wanted to cancel your action and not send the command. Just something to be aware of.>>
Understood and good to know. I don't think this is a factor here since I have 2 newer switchlinc devices which work fine. It is only 1 that is not behaving.

<<- When you tap the paddle for ON or OFF do you see a small waiting spinning indicator appear and then disappear in the middle of the paddle switch in MobiLinc?>>
Yes.

<<- How about a double-tap for Fast ON or Fast OFF? Does that work from MobiLinc? Do you see a spinning indicator after the double-tap?>>
I still see the spinning indicator, however something else noteworthy too. If I double-tap the paddle, the status label on the paddle will change from off to on and vice versa. When I single tap the paddle, the status will change from 'ON' to 'OFF'. If I single tap the paddle again, it will not change from 'OFF' to 'ON'. if I double-tap the paddle, it will always change the status. That said, the switchlinc device never responds single or double-tap actions on the paddle.

<<After re-reading your responses something isn't clicking for me and I hope you can clarify this: If you tap the paddle switch on in MobiLinc, I think your response was that you see the ISY Admin Console reflect that the device turned on. If that's true, then the ISY got the command to turn the device on from MobiLinc and let the ISY Admin Console know that the device should be on. Now, if the device didn't actually turn on, there's something else going on. >>
Correct. Mobilinc is sending an insteon command and the ISY Admin Console is receiving it. I agree something else is going on. This is why I gave you the specific device details for my 3 switchlincs. The 2 newer devices work fine. It is only the older switchlinc that is not responding.

<<In cases like this try performing a query of the device through the ISY Admin Console or through MobiLinc by tapping the gear icon and dragging the popover window down and release to activate a "Pull To Refresh" or a query to ISY for this device. Try the paddle again.>>
I tried the "Pull to Refresh" action and it did not solve the problem.

A question in return now :-)
- Is there a way to capture the insteon commands sent from Mobilinc to the PLU? Perhaps the command sent from the paddle action is different than the command from the gear icon.

One other thing...I tried deleting Mobilinc from the iPad, power cycling the iPad, then reinstalled Mobilinc...still no joy. The same issue with the same behaviors. At this point, my suspicions are either:
a) corruption in the device data Mobilinc is receiving from the ISY. or
b) a switchlinc specific firmware incompatibility.

I took a little video of the issue which I can send you if you give me an e-mail address. Send it to the e-mail address I registered to the forum. Note: When I reply it will be from a different personal account.

Tomorrow evening I can also try this from my wife's iPad.

Thanks for your help. This one is truly odd.

Update: I found another paddle icon that performs in a similar way to the one we have been discussing. In this case, the paddle icon is for a scene. I have a program written to execute when that scene is enabled. When I tap the paddle icon, the program is not enabled. When I click on gear->on, the program is enabled and functions as expected. It would seem that the paddle taps communicate with the ISY differently than the gear->ON or gear->OFF taps.
chilli_pepper

Postby AdminWes » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks for all the details. I'm interested in that video and will send you an email directly.

Clarification: MobiLinc sends all commands directly to the ISY. The ISY then notifies the Admin Console and MobiLinc on device status changes. If you see the small spinning indicator in MobiLinc then you absolutely know that MobiLinc is either trying to send or is sending the command to the ISY.

To answer your question, yes there is a way to see the commands. If you open up the Admin Console and go to Tools->Diagnostics->Event Viewer and change the Level to 3 you'll see just about everything coming in and out of the ISY.

Hopefully the video will show something we can take action on. Right now, I suspect something with the SwitchLinc device.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby chilli_pepper » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:06 pm

I think things are working OK now. I was not looking forward to deleting and re-adding the device (for concern about reattaching it to some programs already written) and happened upon the 'Restore Device' command. I ran it against the problem device and now the Paddle Icon is working as expected. Further, the other scene mentioned in the "Update:" appears to be fully working now too.

It looks like you were onto something with the problem being in the link tables. The sparse documentation on this command appears to enable some table reconciliation...and enough to resolve the problem. I'll keep testing it over the next week or so while cleaning up the rest of my implementation.

Thanks again for your help.

--C
chilli_pepper

Postby AdminWes » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 am

Great!

Glad you were able to figure it out. I suspect that there were half-links in the device causing it to not respond to commands after the first few in a rapid sequence.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments