Does Mobilinc support launch from other iOS app

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Does Mobilinc support launch from other iOS app

Postby chilli_pepper » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:24 am

Hi,

I'm beginning to build a home remote control with iRule. They support launching to other iOS apps using an App URL. Does Mobilinc support this? Or maybe in the future?

Here is a url iRule points to for supported apps you can launch to: http://applookup.com/

Thanks,
--C
chilli_pepper

Re: Does Mobilinc support launch from other iOS app

Postby AdminWes » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:25 am

Yes! MobiLinc has this built into itself and up to this point has been an unadvertised feature. Use the following URL: mobilinchd://

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby firebladeRR1k » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:01 am

Is it possible to use the URL to access individual devices? I would like to use Launch Center Pro and be able to run a program on my isy. Is this possible?
firebladeRR1k

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi firebladeRR1k,

Not currently. Remote launching will launch the MobiLinc app only.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby firebladeRR1k » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:22 pm

It would be really cool to be able to address a specific device & action or program directly from the URL interface. This would allow other apps to be able to kick off a program or change status.
firebladeRR1k

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi firebladeRR1k,

I agree, however, doesn't the app just open under these cases? What would be great is to find a way to make a call to MobiLinc to kick off these actions without having iOS open the app. As it stands now, doesn't iOS always open the receiver app when addressing it by the URL?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby firebladeRR1k » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:36 pm

I think you can have the app take a command and process it but I think the app is loaded. It would be nice to have it transparently cause something to happen. Even if it was just that it opened mobilinc and upon opening ran a program or turned a light on would be super helpful.

A potential method of doing this would be when viewing an item, program or whatever in mobilinc, there would be a way to copy a mobilinc URL for the action. This may be more appropriate to just do from the favorites screen.

Then you could paste it into launch center or wherever. I would love to be able to put the link directly on the ios dashboard.
firebladeRR1k

Postby firebladeRR1k » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:40 pm

One example I could imagine is :
Every night my wife or I run a bedtime program that locks the door, turns off lights, sets some variables... In mobilinc to run this we have to open and scroll down to favorite programs and run.

It would be awesome to have a button on the dashboard or in launch center that would open mobilinc and automatically run the bedtime program.
firebladeRR1k

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:34 pm

firebladeRR1k,

I do understand the use case. Some of this just isn't possible with how iOS is structured today. Take for example, the notification center. As of iOS6 and the new iOS7 due out in the fall, Apple hasn't opened up the Notification center for devs to use to place "widgets". As soon as they do, we'll be investigating how to best use this for MobiLinc.

Android has a Widget concept and it works exactly how you'd want to use MobiLinc in your use case, but nothing like this exists in Apple's iOS.

Providing a custom URL to activate a device/scene/program is possible for us to do, however, I'm concerned about the integration. The launcher app would be opening MobiLinc and MobiLinc would execute the command, however, you are left with MobiLinc running in the foreground. You'd still have to exit out and go back to your launcher. This might make sense if we can figure out how to make it background or transparent, but we'd need iOS corporation to make that happen. Right now, I don't believe there is a way to make this execute transparently.

We'll have to do a little research to see if anything like this is possible.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby firebladeRR1k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:04 am

Sorry dbl posted and can't delete.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373907784.901461.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373907784.901461.jpg (72.16 KiB) Viewed 17414 times
Last edited by firebladeRR1k on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
firebladeRR1k

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments