Integration with ISY99 software

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Integration with ISY99 software

Postby bmarsh » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:44 pm

I have always used the PC version of the SY99 software (from Universal Devices)

I recently have installed Mobilinc HD and the Resource Mgr on an iPad and it looks like it has a lot of potential. In particular, it is showing me programming options I never used before.

But..... everytime I set up an RM program on the iPad (for "XMAS LITES") for example, when I go back to the PC software I find (under the RM folder):

1) Two programs for the device I programmed.

2) The use of the MAC address instead of the name given to the device on both ML HD and the UnivDev software. I've been deleting one of the folders under the RM view in UnivDev and also renaming the device from the MAC addr to the name I gave it. Don't think I should have to do this.
bmarsh

Re: Integration with ISY99 software

Postby AdminWes » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:09 pm

bmarsh,

RM was designed so that software (MobiLinc) can read and understand what the program is and how it applies to your devices. We can't use friendly names here because they can change. The INSTEON ID must be used and not changed if you want to manage the programs from MobiLinc.

If you change any of the RM contents, I wouldn't expect MobiLinc to be able to find or manage those programs.

One way the folks use RM is to use it to setup their templates for their devices, copy or move the programs into another folder and then go from there to tweak them how they see fit.

The bottom line is that the RM programs were designed that way so that MobiLinc can track which device they are assigned to for management through MobiLinc. If you want to move or rename these, that's ok, but you can no longer manage the settings through the app since they've been renamed.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bmarsh » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:12 pm

I see what you mean.... (now that I've renamed a bunch of them)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't... Kinda says you have to manage things totally with one program (APP) or the other (PC) but not both. Kinda kills the usefulness.....
bmarsh

Postby AdminWes » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:45 pm

bmarsh,

Not totally sure I understand your use case is for RM.

RM was designed so that it solves the basic use case for setting up timers and motion activated devices and scenes so that you don't have to dive into the ISY programming language. With just a few taps you can setup your timers/motion programs easily from MobiLinc and never have to open up Admin Console to write the programs.

How are you wanting to use RM where you need to modify these software written/managed programs for your own needs?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bmarsh » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:17 pm

My uses are very simple... Have about 15 devices which are merely switches used in ON/OFF situations with a timer. (all are timed ON/OFF)

But one thing I would miss in switching to RM would be the WAIT -- RANDOM function which is really nice for making the house look 'lived in' when you are on vacation - - or other times when you are out. Is that possible just using RM by itself? I can add it in from the admin console but then, I might as well use the admin console for everything.

IP cams are a separate issue, and there Mobilinc stands out!!

One thing that RM has taught me is to use the From-UNTIL ON and OFF sequence which saves a program. I was using separate programs, one of ON and one for OFF for each device, and sometimes more than one ON or OFF per day... (morn/night situation) so RM has taught me a thing or two.

Will have to thunk on the use of RM vs the admin console.... Obviously Mobilinc has the advantage of being - - - - - mobile....
bmarsh

Postby AdminWes » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Ah, ok. I've been considering adding in a Random option. I agree, I think this would add value to RM.

Currently it's fixed times, but I'll add this to my to-do list.

Thanks,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jiuer7845 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:33 pm

jiuer7845

Postby jiuer7845 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:49 pm

jiuer7845

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments