Remote connection

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Remote connection

Postby mlennox » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:04 pm

In trying to setup remote connectivity to my ISY994, I have run into some issues and was hoping you could answer some technical questions.

Instead of using port forwarding, the way I access services on my internal network is to maintain ssh tunnels from a server on my home network, connecting to my own cloud server. I then point at the cloud server and it all works great.

I've been able to get mobilinc working in this way using HTTP and having a dedicated port tunnel pointing to HTTP on the ISY.

However what I'd like to do and am having issues is to use NGINX as a reverse proxy, such that I can connect over HTTPS from the outside and proxy to the ISY using HTTP, without having to do the whole certificate setup on the ISY.

I have been able to get this working with Mobilinc such that I can sync and retrieve my devices, programs, scenes, etc. However when I view devices it is not able to get status information or turn devices on/off.

So the question I have, is there anything special happening for device control and status API calls that is different from the ISY sync API? It's possible my NGINX proxy configuration is not correct, but I'm looking for a starting point to investigate.

Thanks.
mlennox

Re: Remote connection

Postby AdminWes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi mlennox,

Wow! That sounds like quite a complex setup.

The real-time status channel is simply an open socket to the ISY formated to tell the ISY to send back real-time status data to MobiLinc. This is either HTTP or HTTPS depending on the connect method MobiLinc is using. If I were to take a guess my guess is that whatever you are using as a middle-man isn't allowing a socket to remain open in perpetuity. That is different than simple REST commands for device list or device commands to turn on/off where once the data is returned from the host, the socket is closed.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mlennox » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Complex indeed, but pretty damn cool. ;)

Ok, that's helpful, I suspect you are correct about the open socket connection. I'll investigate that angle, and I'll let you know if I get it working!
mlennox

Postby mlennox » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Is there a pattern to those api endpointsURLs that are using web sockets?
mlennox

Postby AdminWes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi mlennox,

Not really sure what you are asking. All developer/API information related to the ISY can be found on UDI's developer site. https://www.universal-devices.com/isy-developers/

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mlennox » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:51 am

AdminWes wrote:Hi mlennox,

Not really sure what you are asking. All developer/API information related to the ISY can be found on UDI's developer site. https://www.universal-devices.com/isy-developers/

Wes

Thanks Wes, I got my answer. What I'm trying to do can't be done (except for basic REST calls) until such time as UDI implements WebSockets for event subscription... and of course until Mobilinc adopts WS. ;)
mlennox

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments