New user getting error, please help!

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

New user getting error, please help!

Postby windcrest77 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:01 pm

Hello,

I've had an ISY994i installed in my home for over a year, it works great, flawless. The ISY software works great, it detects my ISY every time I need to use it to link a device, change a schedule, etc.

I finally decided to get an iPad app to control the lights so bought Mobilinc HD.

I installed it, but its not finding my ISY I get the message "No home automation controllers detected" whenever I launch Mobilinc. But my ISY is perfectly visible on my network. My ISY "About" menu shows the following versions:

Firmware: Insteon_UD994 v.4.2.18 (2014-10-30)

UI: Insteon_UD994 v.4.1.1 (2013-12-12)

Product: ISY 994i (1120) - OpenADR (21010)

My URL HTTP://192.168.10.222/

Internet access : Disabled

Whats up? Did I buy the wrong Mobilinc product? Do I have to enter the IP address of my ISY somewhere in the Mobilinc settings? If so, where? Do I need to purchase and install other software as well? My ISY has a fixed IP assigned 192.168.10.222 is that maybe the problem? Do I need to configure port forwarding or anything else on my router? I have absolutely no intention of controlling the lights from outside the home, this is just for at-home use on my LAN.

I did go into the Mobilinc HD settings age and enter my ISY's IP address, was that the correct thing to do? On those settings it is showing port 80, is that the correct port for my ISY? Does the IP address on this settings page even pertain to the IP address of the ISY, or is that for setting a permanent IP address for the Mobilinc software itself?

I appreciate any help getting this to work, if it wont work I'd appreciate any help getting a refund. Either is fine, but I'd prefer that it work and I keep it.

Please help, I was very motivated by how easy the video made this all look, but that is not my experience. :cry:

Thanks
Rick
windcrest77

Re: New user getting error, please help!

Postby AdminWes » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi Rick,

It sounds like MobiLinc was unable to auto-detect your ISY on your network. This could happen if the iPad is connected to a different Wi-Fi network than your ISY or is something in your network is blocking UPnP.

In either case, setup is the same for direct IP.

In MobiLinc go to Settings->Lighting Controller->Host Type and select "ISY".
Go back to the Lighting Controller page and enter in:
- your ISY's username
- your ISY's password
- your ISY's IP address for the local http:// field.
- Leave the Local port as port 80 assuming you didn't change this in the ISY->Admin Console->Configuration tab.
Tap "Sync" to connect to your ISY.

If you run into any issues please send me the following to support@mobilinc.com:

MobiLinc:
- Screenshot of your Lighting Controller settings page.

ISY:
- Screenshot of your ISY's Admin Console->Configuration tab.

Confirmation that your iPad is connected to the same Wi-Fi router your ISY is plugged into.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby windcrest77 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Wes,

I had no luck after going through all you said, every time I pressed Synch, it said it could not connect. I rebooted the iPad, and the ISY and my router and network switch.

Then I just simply did a ping and tracert from my iPad to 192.168.10.222 (the ISY). I got back valid pings and the tracert showed no hops (trace was direct to ISY). This was a sanity test just to make sure the iPad can see 192.168.10.222 at all even though I knew it could because I've browsed my ISY web server with the iPad before.

Now after doing that... I tried the sync button again, and it worked!

Very weird, it needed me to do a simple ping (or possibly just browse the ISY) before things broke loose for the app.

this is a very cool app, so intuitive, thanks! 5 stars!

rick
windcrest77

Postby mwareman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:27 pm

UPNP is disabled by default on newer ISY versions (for security reasons). You will either have to manually configure the IP of your ISY or turn on UPNP on the ISY.

Not sure why it worked after a ping though... :P
mwareman

Postby AdminWes » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Rick,

Glad you got it working! Not sure I understand why the network ping was required to get it all working.

What mwareman said is partially correct. Even with UPnP OFF the ISY will still respond to MobiLinc's direct request for UPnP discovery. With UPnP OFF the ISY disables all other UPnP functions outside of a direct UPnP M-SEARCH UPnP ping.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby deadflanders » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:01 pm

I was having the same errors. I was trying to do a direct connect from Mobilink via my home wifi, and it just wouldn't sync. I don't currently have a ping tool setup on my phone, but when I saw this article I thought I could at least verify connectivity from my phone to my ISY by browsing to it. This worked fine, proving that I did have connectivity. After browsing to the ISY, I am now able to SYNC to it with Mobilinc.. Weird..

I'll have to keep playing with it to see if I continues to sync ok or not.

If I continue to have problems, I'll do some packet captures on my network and post what I find.
deadflanders

Postby AdminWes » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Deadflanders,

A couple of items:

If you have the Apple router product, please make sure it's running the latest firmware and then reboot it. Once rebooted, please reboot your iPhone and your ISY and then try again.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments