Notifications stopped working

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Re: Notifications stopped working

Postby AdminWes » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:21 am

Hi FLSR,

When monitoring for the boundary crossing notification, please make sure MobiLinc isn't running in the foreground (active). These notifications will be posted to your TodayView->Notification section automatically when the app is running in the background (or has been force quit).

Another option is to turn off the "Notify on Boundary Crossing" option and then turn it back on. iOS 8 did change how permissions are set for local notifications and this might help kick it back into alignment with the new iOS 8 rules.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby AdminWes » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:29 pm

Interesting...I just ran a series of tests on iOS 8 testing the location/geo-fence and I can't reproduce what you are seeing.

If you aren't seeing the region crossing notification, then iOS isn't telling MobiLinc about it. The code here is really straightforward. iOS wakes MobiLinc up and MobiLinc checks if this option is turned on. If it is, it issues the local notification and then proceeds to contact your ISY to update the geo-fence variable.

I would expect that the variable wouldn't be updated until you saw the local notification, but you indicated that you would still see the variable change from 0->1 and 1->0. I'm not sure what to make of that exactly unless the notification process on iOS side of the house is screwy.

I'd recommend the standard electronic device debugging steps:
- Close out all apps.
- Clear all notifications from the Today View.
- Reboot the phone.

In addition please:
- Verify Wi-Fi is turned on.
- Open MobiLinc and turn on (or verify) that the Notify on Boundary Crossing option is on.
- Keep MobiLinc in the background and Maps running in the foreground (forces the use of GPS) as you drive away or drive home.
- See if this kicks everything into alignment.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby AdminWes » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:33 am

Thanks.

Comments:

1. Do you know what the Dropcam geofence radius is? Or how many and where the geo-fence locations are Dropcam is setting up? If the Dropcam app gives you this info, make sure to match the MobiLinc region to the same geofence specs Dropcam is configuring iOS with so that it's a comparable test.

2. This is exactly correct and how we understand how iOS detects (and notifies apps) about boundary crossing.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby AdminWes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks.

This still doesn't jive with how the code actually works:

I also mentioned that I often check my State Variable via MobiLinc and find that the variable is set in the correct state, despite not receiving a notification.

I can think of only two reasons why this might appear this way:
1. Check the last update time of the variable when this happens. Did the variable actually just get updated or was this an old update from earlier in the day or week?
2. Something in iOS is blocking the local notification from appearing. However, I can't think of anything that would cause this #2 behavior.

Also, Dropcam's note is really misleading. From Apple's developer site (and in the code) a geo-fence minimum radius can only be 100m or around 300ft. It's just not possible to set it any smaller than 100m/300ft. The only other way they could achieve a smaller radius is if they are actually using iBeacon built into the Dropcam. I don't know if Dropcam has a built-in iBeacon or not, but if it does, then they might be using a combination of the two. Just a guess.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Updating ISY variables not working?

Postby robbert2012 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm trying to integrate a new iBeacon in MobiLinc. I had done that successfully about a year ago but I forgot how I actually did it...

First question:
Does Mobilinc create the ISY variable? Or do I have to create it?

Second question:
Mobilinc calculates the ISY variable name by using my iPhone's name. My iPHone name has a "-" in its name. Will that cause problems? my older iBeacon has a variable name with a "-" and it is working fine.

For my new iBeacon, Mobilinc does not create the ISY variable. And once I create it, Mobilinc does not update that variable.

What am I missing?

Bert
robbert2012

Postby AdminWes » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi Bert,

MobiLinc creates the variable. For iBeacons, go to Settings->iBeacon Settings and select your iBeacon. Then, turn on the ISY Variable setting.

The name should be fine with a "-" in it.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby robbert2012 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:26 pm

In my case, Mobilinc refuses to create the ISY variable.
In addition, when I try to create an ISY variable with a "-" in the name via the ISY admin tool, it errors with "'-' is not allowed in the name of a variable".

Is there any way I an debug this more?

Note again that I have one, older iBeacon that is working perfectly: it sets/resets its ISY variable nicely. But it was configured in Mobilinc about 1 year ago.

I use Mobilinc Pro v4.7

Thanks for your help.

Bert
robbert2012

Postby AdminWes » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:18 am

Hi Bert,

What do you mean that MobiLinc "refuses" to create the variable? Is there an error message in MobiLinc when you toggle this on?

Keep in mind that you can't have the Admin Console running. It will not update to show you the added variable from MobiLinc until you close and reopen the Admin Console.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby robbert2012 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:49 am

Thanks Wes,

It is working now.

The key item I was doing wrong is that I did have the ISY console running and didn't see the new variables.
Thanks

Bert
robbert2012

Postby AdminWes » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks Bert.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments