Can't differentiate devices in favorite scenes

Submit feedback, comments, and support help here.

Can't differentiate devices in favorite scenes

Postby ahwman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:29 pm

When adding scenes to favorites which contain duplicate device names, there is no way to differentiate between them. It would be much more intuitive to separate them by rooms and much cleaner at the same time...
ahwman

Re: Can't differentiate devices in favorite scenes

Postby AdminWes » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 am

Hi ahwman,

We didn't want to clutter up the Favorites view by introducing the folder structure here as well. You already get that under My Scenes.

If you have a scene name and a device name that are the same you shouldn't see these listed together as they are separated by the upper right tab selector for Scenes and Devices. Can you clarify your statement about how to differentiate between the two? If you look in the upper right corner of the iPad screen either Scenes or Devices will be selected.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby ahwman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 am

Wes,

I realize that devices and scenes are separated, however the problem with the devices tab is that they go on at full brightness vs the dim level set by the scene.

It would be now if the devices under the scenes view were labeled with the room name as well to prevent confusion especially with duplicate device names. I hope that makes sense...
ahwman

Postby AdminWes » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi ahwman,

Ok, I think I follow you. You'd like to see the room or folder name attached to the favorite scene so devices like "Room Lamp" would be named something like "Upstairs Room Lamp" and "Downstairs Room Lamp " or similar.

I'm not sure adding this would apply to everyone for MobiLinc. Maybe this could be a configurable option we could add. In the meantime, if you named your scenes this way in the SmartLinc, that may satisfy the immediate need for distinction.

As for your devices, yes they will go to Full On under the SmartLinc. The reason is that MobiLinc doesn't have all the scene information for that device as provided by the SmartLinc during sync. There are a number of limitations by the SmartLinc that MobiLinc is unable to work around, this being one of them. My suggestion is if you are finding yourself wanting more out of the SmartLinc, to consider upgrading to the ISY-99i. It has many more features including true realtime feedback for MobiLinc. If you are interested I would be happy to talk to you about the different features over the SmartLinc.

In relation to my other post, my recommendation would be to only use the Scene controls for performance and remove all your devices under My Devices by tapping the gear icon then tapping the Trash Icon to delete.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby ahwman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:01 pm

Good evening Wes and thanks for the detailed response. That said, I think you see where I'm coming from. I tried to name scenes with the room name from within SmartLinc however the character limit makes this next to impossible...

In regards to upgrading to an ISY-99i, I considered that however it seems like overkill as I'm not doing anything exotic other than lighting and a few switches. I tried deleting all of the devices as you suggested however I don't see a performance improvement. The strange thing is that sometimes it's very responsive while others it could take 3-5 seconds to respond. I just wish there was a way to make it respond like it does from SmartLinc.

One other anomaly I've noticed is that sometimes I'll click on a switch from within MobileLinc and I'll hear the click sound yet it's as though it didn't register and I will have to click it again.
ahwman

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:54 am

Hi ahwman,

One last trick for the performance test. Try force closing MobiLinc by double-tapping the home butting, press and hold the MobiLinc icon till it shakes, and then tap the "-" button to force MobiLinc closed. Wait 10 seconds and then relaunch MobiLinc. Go to My Devices and confirm that no devices appear. Go to My Scenes and go into a room to turn a scene on or off. How is the performance?

Is there a sequence of events on your iPad where you can repeat to show the delay of 3-5 seconds? I'd like to understand the scenario and see if there is anything we can do differently in the code to improve this scenario.

When you tap a switch and you hear the iPad click, but no light on or off action, MobiLinc will cancel the ON or OFF command to the switch if the iPad detected that the finger slid off the button area of the switch.You'll get the clicking noise, but no command if the iPad is telling MobiLinc that the user "canceled" the button push by sliding the finger off the button area (on accident or on purpose). If that happens again, look to see if MobiLinc shows a spinner icon in the middle of the switch. If you see that, then you know MobiLinc sent the command to your SmartLinc. No spinner, no command was sent.

I hope some of this info helps,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby ahwman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:16 am

Merry Christmas Wes to you and your family!

I tried your suggestion of force closing MobiLinc and checking the devices tab. Same result. BTW, this issue is consistent with the iPhone app as well. I know you mentioned that MobiLinc and Smartlinc handle status updates differently, however is there any explanation as to why there is almost no delay from within SmartLinc? Does MobiLinc use a different methodology to issue commands?

Also, I do have some questions regarding upgrading to an ISY-99I.

Question 1:Would this increase performance or just simply give me more flexibility and customization?

Question 2: One of the main selling points of the ISY is that it doesn't need the assistance of a computer yet it needs to be connected to a computer, is this just to allow access to the ISY to make changes/write code? I'm using an iMac and so I don't have a serial port so would I just use the USB version?

Question 3: I was reading the some PLM's supply power to the ISY and some don't. Do you have any suggestions as to what I would need to purchase keeping in mind that I'm using an iMac.

Question 4: Since I keep my iMac on all the time would I be better off going with Indigo vs an ISY-99i?

Please forgive me for all of the question Wes, it's just that you seem to be very knowledgeable and I appreciate your input...
ahwman

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:27 am

Merry Christmas!

That is interesting that you are seeing the same performance issue. The methodology is the same with the web interface and MobiLinc. The difference is that MobiLinc keeps the SmartLinc very busy gathering status on all the scenes. Where as the Web interface only gets status after you click the room.

One other suggestion is to make sure that every scene that has an INSTEON ID reporting status in the web interface is actually reporting status through the web interface. This may take a few minutes to hunt through each scene and make sure you are getting actual real status for every scene. I could see a scenario where MobiLinc is asking for scene status and the SmartLinc is trying to gather that status for a nonexistent or non-reporting device but can't which would introduce a multi-second delay. Perhaps there is a rouge scene causing delay here.

Question/Answers:
1. This would greatly increase performance. You get true real-time device and scene status. No polling.
2. You need a computer just to setup the ISY. After that it can run by itself. to set it up, it's all done over the network. The serial version of the PLM is required for the ISY. The USB version won't work with the ISY.
3. Yes, we are running some really great bundle deals through the holidays that include the PLM, power supply, and ISY kit on our online store: http://mobilincstore.com. You can't find a better price on our kits anywhere else. The bundled kit is what you'd need to replace your SmartLinc.
4. MobiLinc won't work with Indigo, so my recommendation is to go with the ISY to maintain MobiLinc support. Plus the ISY runs by itself. No computer is required to stay on for it to operate.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby ahwman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:32 am

Two more question Wes,

1.) The serial issue is still confusing me, could I still use this setup with my iMac being that I don't have serial port?

2.) I'm relatively tech savvy but certainly not a programmer. How difficult is the learning curve to setting up and creating a workflow from the ISY-99i?

BTW, I have a 15% off coupon from SmartHome, cant you guys beat their price?

Thanks again Wes!
ahwman

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi ahwman,

1. The serial interface is for the ISY. The PLM plugs into the wall. The serial cable plugs into the ISY and the ISY then plugs into your router as a network attached device.

2. The ISY interface is pretty easy to use. If you have any tech-savvey skills or the DIY spirit you'll be just fine using the ISY.

As for the price, it looks like even with their special price we beat SmartHome by ~$30.00 on the basic kit.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments