Getting started with iLinc Pro

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Getting started with iLinc Pro

Postby nixterrimus » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:06 pm

Hello-

I'm currently in the planning stages for wiring my apartment for home automation. One of my requirements is that I be able to control all of my devices from my iPhone. So far, this is the best solution I can find. I don't yet own any insteon modules, right now I'm just checking things out. I have a couple of questions. Is anyone actively using this to control their home? Why is there a 60 device limit? Where do I create scenes? Do I do that on my computer and then they sync to the iPhone when I start up the program? If you were at the beginning would you recommend using insteon and the iPhone for apartment wide automation?

Thanks!
-Nicholas Rowe
nixterrimus

Re: Getting started with iLinc Pro

Postby AdminWes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Nicholas!

Thanks for taking the time to ask a few questions. I went through the planning stage a few years ago when my new house was under construction. I found that Insteon was the best route to go and I haven't been disappointed. I created iLinc for myself so that I could control all my Insteon lights in the house from my iPhone. I probably use the scene feature the most. Under the "Scenes" link on the main page of iLinc users can create their new scene right on the iPhone/iPod Touch. After the scene is created, you can select any or all of your devices to assign to that scene.

I picked 60 devices and 60 scenes because I felt that very few users would have more than this. If I get feedback looking for more, I'll add in the support for additional devices and scenes.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby nixterrimus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks for your reply! So, to get started with iLinc Pro I need the USB controller and lamp dimmer, right? Would I need anything else to get started?

Thanks, again.
nixterrimus

Postby ilincandy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:15 am

You also need a pair of access points which bridges the electrical phases in your home and also accepts RF Insteon commands.
ilincandy

Postby AdminWes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:19 am

iLincandy is right. Here is a list of items from smarthome that would create a minimum setup for Insteon:

Pair of access points to join the two electrical phases of your home:
http://www.smarthome.com/2443P/Access-Point-INSTEON-Wireless-Phase-Coupler-2-Pack/p.aspx

LampLinc Dimmer:
http://www.smarthome.com/2456D3/LampLinc-INSTEON-Plug-In-Lamp-Dimmer-Module-3-Pin/p.aspx

For control from your PC and iLinc add the PowerLinc 2414U:
http://www.smarthome.com/2414U/PowerLinc-INSTEON-Controller-USB-Based-Home-Automation-Device/p.aspx

Depending on where the LampLinc (or any other module) is located you may find that the insteon commands are not reaching the device due to a nearby computer or other applicance absorbing the Insteon command. In this case you will also need a filter device to plug in-between the noisy device and the wall. I've put these on a couple of my computers that were causing interference with my Insteon network.
http://www.smarthome.com/1626-10/FilterLinc-10-Amp-Plug-In-X10-Noise-Filter/p.aspx
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby nixterrimus » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:11 am

Thanks to both of you. I was hoping that the Access points wouldn't be needed. I had thought that insteon was entirely wireless, is it both powerline and wireless? Does anyone have experience with insteon in an apartment? I wonder if my powerlines will be too noisy.

Again, thank you. I know this is outside the realm of app support. I've purchased the app in anticipation of getting this setup and working, and in appreciation for all of your help.

Thanks,
Nick
nixterrimus

Postby AdminWes » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:15 am

Thank you for your purchase!

Insteon is both powerline and wireless, but most devices don't support both. For example, the Access points are used to pick up the wireless commands from an Insteon RF remote as well as repeat the powerline Insteon signal onto the opposite phase of the electrical system. The PowerLinc is powerline only.

From what I've read, most apartments still have a dual phase (or triple phase) electrical setup and would need the Access points to bridge the two (or three) phases together.

Maybe someone else who is reading this might be able to shed some light on their apartment Insteon setup.
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby ilincandy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:30 am

To save some money buy "refurbished" access points from Smarthome - they still have the same waranty as the "new" ones but for less $$$$$
ilincandy

Postby nixterrimus » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:17 pm

Great! I've ordered a pair of RF bridges, the USB module, and a lamp dimmer. All of this brings me one step closer to complete control of the universe (or at least my apartment) on my iPhone! Thanks for the tip of refurb, that's what I ended up doing. I hope that everything should be here by Saturday. I'll report back on my progress.

Thanks!
-Nick
nixterrimus

Postby ilincandy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:22 am

Quote: Great! I've ordered a pair of RF bridges

I hope you mean the newer "access points" with RF Insteon bridging and AC phase coupling. There were older modules (with antennas - now obsolete/discontinued?) were just AC phase couplers. The newer ones will accept the RF Insteon signals from the TriggerLinc, the Insteon motion IR detector and the Venstar Thermostat.

Smarthome would never sell you the older phase couplers but sometimes they do make mistakes :roll: :roll: :roll:
ilincandy

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments