Happy new user with a couple of minor issues

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Happy new user with a couple of minor issues

Postby bwade913 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:02 pm

I came across this tool in an accidental way. I'm new to HA and after a bit of research I've decided to build an Insteon based system using the the open source control software Misterhouse on a Linux machine. Now I knew I had to buy a 2412S for that system, but somehow I ended up buying a 2414S on eBay instead. After flailing for a few hours trying to get Misterhouse to talk to the thing, I realized my error and placed an order for a 2412S. With my project on hold, I started thinking about whether there wasn't something useful I could still do with the 2414S without spending too much money and so I turned to Google. To my amazement, $10 and an hour later I'm controlling appliances with my iPhone. That was a big one on my list. I want to be able to start my espresso machine (with confirmation) from my iPhone before I get out of bed in the morning so that it'll be up to temperature by the time I'm ready for coffee. Something that I thought was going to be difficult has ended up being the first thing I have running. My lemon has turned into some very good lemonade.

One general question I have about all this: Am I correct to believe that the 2412S and 2414S can coexist in my Insteon network without interfering with each other or requiring any special configuration?

Issues I've seen so far:

1. For some reason, I couldn't get SDM to talk to the PLC by manually changing the port in the registry. I eventually stumbled across the "Find PLC" command and it started working at that point. It would be good if that were added to the how-to.

2. Status doesn't get updated when you are in the control window for a module and some other controller changes the module state. You have to back out of the control window and then re-enter to see the true status.

Cheers on an excellent product,
Bret
bwade913

Re: Happy new user with a couple of minor issues

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:37 am

Hi Bret,

Thanks for the feedback and your story! I'm very happy to hear when iLinc makes users happy with their Insteon setups. If you get a free moment, would you write a review for iLinc in the app store?

Item 1 - Yes, both devices should be able to coexist in your Insteon network without interfering with each other.

Item 2 - I'll look into the "Find PLC" command and add the info to the setup guide. I was actually unaware that anything needed to be done outside of changing the port in the registry. Thanks for the info.

Item 3 - You are correct, the status does not get updated if another controller comes along and changes the state. The reason for this is that the 2414 does not send real-time status to iLinc. iLinc must ask for the status. I'm working on version 2.0 that will support the Universal Devices ISY 26/99 device. This popular HA device DOES send out real-time status to devices (iLinc) connected to it. Also, the ISY does not require a computer to be on for iLinc to connect to.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bwade913 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've done the app rating on the iTunes store.
bwade913

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Thank you!
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments