Failed to connect

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Failed to connect

Postby kfrazack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Just got the 2414u and got it hooked up. Set up the router as directed and the 2414u and it tested it out ok.

I've only got X10 units in my house so my system is missing the Insteon RF devices.

I configured the iLinc as follows: X10 = A4

When I try to connect it gives me the following error:
Failed to Connect
Error Received = bad URL

Any ideas?
kfrazack

Re: Failed to connect

Postby AdminWes » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi kfrazack,

The error message tells me that iLinc thinks the IP address you have entered on your settings page is not the IP address to the computer hosting the SDM software.

Let me ask a few questions:
- Do you have the SDM software installed and can you execute a "isResponding" request by right-clicking on the "T" icon in your task tray. The result should be "True" if everything is working ok.
- Verify your computer's IP address and verify that the same IP address is entered into iLinc's setting page.
- Verify that the port is set to 9020 or the port you have SDM configured for if you changed it manually.

Let me know if you have verified all these and we'll dive in further.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby kfrazack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 am

First 2 things verified. How do you verify that the port is set to 9020, other than to check something like: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9020/index.txt?isResponding. The latter, I did do, and it checked out. I have my router configured to forward port 9020 to the computer that SDM is running on too.
kfrazack

Postby AdminWes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:42 am

Hi kfrazack,

Sounds like the 2414 setup is good with the host PC.

A few other questions to narrow this down:
- iLinc will append http:// infront of your IP address in the settings page during code execution. Verify that the IP address you have entered is just the IP address... XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
- For the X10 device you want to control, verify that the device type is "X10 Switch" or "X10 Dimmer".
- When you select ON for your X10 device, what does the SDM software print to the screen? Is there anything?
- Approx how long does iLinc take to display the error message? Is it right away, or does it appear to attempt to connect?
- I'm assuming your iPhone/Touch device is connected through WiFi to your home router.
- For the IP address, I'd start with the local IP address and not the router IP address port forwarded to your computer. Just to simplify the setup to start with.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby kfrazack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:43 pm

IP address is correct. But it's the IP address of the computer not the router itself.

The X10 device is one of the original X10 lamp modules (a dimmer).

When I click in the device in the iPhone software it immediately gives me the error. I don't even get to the point where I can select ON. Although, the error message has an OK button to dismiss the error. If I dismiss it and then click ON, it gives the same error message immediately. There is no semblance of the software trying to connect. The SDM software doesn't do anything. It receives and prints nothing.

When you say, "the local IP address and not the router IP address port forwarded" what exactly do you mean? My router is 192.168.100.100 and my computer is 192.168.100.157. The iLinc settings are as follows:

Server IP Address: 192.168.100.157
Server Port: 9020
kfrazack

Postby AdminWes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi kfrazack,

Looks like everything is setup correctly.

Based on the speed at which iLinc reports the error it sounds like your device isn't allowing iLinc to connect to the network to even attempt communicating to your SDM PC.

This may sound like a stupid question, but is Airplane Mode on? What about internet access from your device? Are you connected over WiFi and can get out to your favorite websites?

Another stupid question, is your device jailbroken?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby kfrazack » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Ok, I stumbled upon one problem. I entered the Module Address as "X10 = A4" with the exact syntax suggested on the grayed option. Problem is the spaces. When I entered "X10=A4", things started to happen on the SDM monitor, but I got a bunch of errors. The following just goes on and on:

ui:ResponseX10=A4:setOnLevelText=X10=A4,OFF
PLC:ResponseX10=ERROR:unknown command
uifinished:ResponseX10=A4:setOnLevelText=X10=A4,OFF
ui:nop
PLC:nop=
uifinished:nop

I tried setting the module as different types, but same kind of thing.
kfrazack

Postby AdminWes » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi kfrazack,

Ok, I think I see what's going on. Instead of entering X10=A4, just enter the X10 address, A4. Drop the "X10=" and give that a try.

This is fixed in the soon to be released version 2.0. I added additional logic checking to this field so that users don't get confused about the module syntax. Sorry for the confusion.

Let me know how that goes.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby kfrazack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:58 am

Awesome, that got it! Just bought the Pro version and configured for all my X10 devices. Very nice. Too bad you can't dim the X10 devices. Guess I'll just have to get some Insteon stuff soon.

Thanks a lot. Great program. Looking forward to version 2.0 and EZRain support.
kfrazack

Postby kfrazack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:30 am

Got everything working after setup and all the devices worked... at first. Now I get only some of them to work. They all work with the RF remote but only some with the iPhone. The SDM is getting all the commands and passing them on. Some of the devices just aren't hearing them I guess. Any ideas?
kfrazack

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments