Scene Question

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Scene Question

Postby AdamHLG » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:08 pm

I have iLinc 2.0 installed and working properly using the SDM 3.08 desktop tray app. I have a few questions.

1. I have 3 dimmer switches I programmed with iLinc 2.0 for two simple scenes - kitchen lights 'on' and kitchen lights 'off'. One insteon switch is the kitchen sink ceiling light, and the othet two Insteon switches are the main kitchen ceiling lights (one switch controls the load, the second is the 2-way non-loaded but linked switch at the other end of the room. Both switches for the main kitchen ceiling lights are included in the scene to assure the LED level bars on the linked switches stay in tandem. Anyway, sometimes the resulting actions after an iPhone scene key press are fast - about 1-2 seconds. However, other times there is a delay of maybe 6-10 seconds before each action executes. When it does execute, one light turns on, and then the other light turns on. Sometimes there is a delay there too. Same things happen with the 'off' scene, i.e., sometimes it executes fast, sometimes slow. What could be causing this?

2. This may be related. With those kitchen lights, can all switches react at the same time (concurrent to set the scene), or must it be consecutive, i.e., one reaction at a time. Is this causing my random delays above?

In answering # 2, is this an iLinc 2.0 limitation, i.e., the switches cannot be made to react concurrently? Can I execute concurrent reactions through other means or is this an Insteon limitation?

I will say I love this so far. Just want to make it better and I am not sure if i am doing something wrong.

I am installing 50+ switches in my house so I need to learn this stuff. I dont know if i am hitting an iLinc 2.0 limitation or what, but i would like to have my lighting scenes execute concurrently and not one light at a time.

Thanks for any help.

Adam

p.s. This message has been cross posted in the Smarthome forum here:

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.as ... 5815#28628
AdamHLG

Re: Scene Question

Postby AdminWes » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:00 am

Hi Adam,

I've addressed your question in the smarthome forum here:
http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5815

Reposted here:
Hi Adam,

What you are seeing with the different time interval of devices in scenes should be addressed in the update Apple is currently reviewing I submitted yesterday. I worked through an issue with the SDM software where sending multiple commands back-to-back sometimes causes SDM to delay in sending Insteon commands out to your Insteon network. The update process through Apple typicially takes a week.

iLinc and SDM can't issue concurrent commands. Insteon does have the ability to link devices to each other to control scenes. Look on the smarthome forum for help linking a switch to control multiple devices for scene creation.

With plans on installing 50+ switches I'd recommend you use the Universal Devices ISY 99 device instead of the PowerLinc. The ISY is a standalone Insteon controller (no computer required) that handles the large number of devices better then using a PowerLinc controller. ISY will also be better suited to setup concurrent scenes instead of manually linking your devices together.

Hope this helps,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments