What Specific Insteon Devices are supported by ILinc Pro?

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

What Specific Insteon Devices are supported by ILinc Pro?

Postby ilincandy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 pm

What specific Insteon Devices are supported by ILinc Pro?
To be more specific, there is an Insteon motion detector, Magnetic Contact Reed Switch eg "Triggerlinc", Lamp Modules, Keypad Modules, Wall/Appliance Switch Modules, IO Modules and others. Could you list the Insteon Part Numbers you support?
Do you support any of the SimpleHomeNet Insteon Modules?
Last edited by ilincandy on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilincandy

Re: What Specific Insteon Devices are supported by ILinc Pro?

Postby AdminWes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:58 pm

Good question,

iLinc supports the basic Insteon line-up of devices that can be commanded On, Off, or Dim (0%-100%). For example, iLinc supports the KeypadLinc (Dimmer and Switch) but it will only activiate the main button, not the sub buttons on the Keypad Linc. Full support for the Keypad Linc is in progress and is coming in a future update.

As for the more complex modules from SimpleHomeNet such as the EZRain or the IO module, iLinc does not currently support this or other modules where you have the need to address individual IO pins. I use the EZRain controller in my home setup and am working to support this device in a future update to iLinc.
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby nixterrimus » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Doesn't some of this stuff belong on the backend, and not on the iPhone. For example, for the keypads, wouldn't it be much better to have the backend server monitoring those and responding appropriately? I don't plan to leave the iPhone app on all of the time (the whole apartment iTunes setup needs to be controlled somehow!) so if a button is pressed and the iLinc Pro isn't on, nothing would happen.

Wes / ilincandy how would you guys handle this? Would you run another application all of the time on the PC and setup actions. Is there a piece of software that's better than another?
nixterrimus

Postby nixterrimus » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:16 pm

I think I may understand, with the KeypadLinc, can one emulate pressing the buttons (eventually) from the iPhone. Because that would be cool. I could have software on my PC listening for button press, then simulate pressing that button with my iPhone.
nixterrimus

Postby ilincandy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:56 am

This is my take ... Insteon needs a controller and a responder which is manually linked together by initiating a setup procedure on the two modules using the buttons/switches on the side of the modules. For example,Triggerlinc (a controller) is linked to a Lamplinc (a responder) The SDM (smarthome device manager) runs on the PC as a server and communicates with the devices via the bridge using the controller/modem PowerLinc V2 USB #2412U (or serial 2412S). The SDM or PC could be shutoff and TriggerLinc would still turn on and off the LampLinc because the linking information is stored in the TriggerLinc / Controller interface. The SDM creates a software bridge from the Insteon devices via wifi or 3G to the application program "iLinc Pro" running on the Ipod/touch or iphone ARM processor. Hope this helps :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
ilincandy

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:17 am

SDM and iLinc really act as a third party observer to your Insteon network. When you want to use iLinc to interject a command to turn a light on, iLinc/SDM sends that command out over the powerlines.

Normally independent links are established between Insteon modules so that the Insteon network works with just the modules you have installed. For example, having a keypadlinc button linked to a LampLinc module. When you press the keypadlinc button the Lamplinc responds regardless if the computer running SDM is on or off.
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments