''Failed to Retrieve Status" and ''Connection Error''

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

''Failed to Retrieve Status" and ''Connection Error''

Postby SuperDDS » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:34 am

Arrrrgggh!

I am running iLinc Pro (v2.10) on my iPhone 3GS (v3.1.2).
I am running Smarthome Device Manager (v1.01.138.308) on my HP G70-463CL Notebook PC (with Windows Vista).
My PLC is firmware is v2.13, and is reporting that it is ''active''.
The browser: ''isresponding=True''
All device addresses are verified correct, and my iPhone can eventually turn each device on and off individually.

Here are my problems:
(1) There is sometimes a delay of up to 15 seconds before the devivce responds.
(2) Even after responding, the device status lags behind
(3) When I try to activate a scene with multiple devices, I get unpredictable results. Sometimes, all of the devices will activate within a reasonable period of time. Sometimes they will activate after an unreasonable period of time. Sometimes, they will activate only after I clear multiple error messages from my iPhone. Sometimes, they won't activate at all, and I have to resend the activate scene command.
(4) The error messages don't make sense. ''Connection Error. Failed to connect to (null)'' doesn't figure because both my computer and my iPhone are reporting strong internet connections.

Any ideas?
SuperDDS

Re: ''Failed to Retrieve Status" and ''Connection Error''

Postby AdminWes » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:27 am

Hi SuperDDS,

This sounds like there is a problem with the network traffic between your iPhone and the laptop. You've done all the homework to verify SDM is working on your laptop but one question about the laptop, is it connected over Wi-Fi or a hardwired connection? Is there any kind of powersavings feature that might shutdown the Wi-Fi connection (if connected via Wi-Fi)? Related to this, does the connection error occur right away, after some time, or randomly?

Can you report back how you are connecting to your laptop via your iPhone? Meaning, do you put the internal laptop IP address in iLinc or do you put your router's IP address in iLinc? If the router, try putting in the direct laptop IP address.

Let me know how this goes.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Re: Error Messages (and Other Questions for Wes)

Postby SuperDDS » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi Wes,

The actual IP address of the laptop (192.168.1.122) is entered on the iLinc Pro Settings page. All devices seem to work almost instantaneously when activated one at a time. But when I activate a scene with more than 3 or 4 devices, the system gets bioggeed down and my iPhone displays error messages.

At the moment, my laptop is connected to my home network with its Wi-Fi connnection. Tonight, I'm going to try hardwiring it directly into my router with a new Cat 5 cable, and see if that helps. I'll let you know.

In the meantime, I have some questions:

I purchased the Powerlinc 2414 instead of the ISY 26/99 because it cost less, and because the advertising from SmartHome and M.I.S. both implied that the PowerLinc 2414 did everything that the ISY 26/99 does. It appears that the PowerLinc 2414 has significant disadvantages. Are my observations correct?

1. The PowerLinc 2414 - iLinc Pro combination does not appear to support the Venstar Thermostat. Is this correct? Does the ISY 26/99 support the Venstar Thermostat?

2. The PowerLinc 2414 - iLinc Pro combination does not appear to support internet access to home automation commands. Is this correct? If I had the ISY 26/99, could I access my home automation center from the Internet?

3. The PowerLinc 2414 - iLinc Pro combination does not appear operate without the computer being on constantly. Is this correct? If I had the ISY 26/99, could it store all of the commands, and activate timers, etc., without the computer being on and using power?

4. My wife and I both have iPhones. Is their an easy way to copy the programming of all of the devices and scenes from my iPhone to my wife's iPhone, without entering each of them manually?

5. Once I get everything set up, is there a way that I can print out the configuration of my system and devices to save as a backup?

6. To save set-up time, is there a way that all of the devices in my system can be "discovered", as per SmartHome advertising for other products?

7. Should I return my PowerLinc 2414 and buy an ISY 26/99? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help and insight!

~~Chris Wolter~~
====================================================
SuperDDS

Re: ''Failed to Retrieve Status" and ''Connection Error''

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm curious how the hardwire approach works for you. I can understand what is happening under the hood in your larger scenes if the Wi-Fi connection isn't stable enough for iLinc to receive the SDM responses from the individual devices.

Your observation about iLinc and the PowerLinc are correct. iLinc is best paired with the ISY-99i. There are number advantages to the ISY over the PowerLinc that you've already identified:

1. The PowerLinc 2414 - iLinc Pro combination does not appear to support the Venstar Thermostat. Is this correct? Does the ISY 26/99 support the Venstar Thermostat?
- iLinc does not directly support the Venstar thermostat while connected to the PowerLinc. iLinc and the ISY26/99 DOES fully support the Venstar Thermostat.

2. The PowerLinc 2414 - iLinc Pro combination does not appear to support internet access to home automation commands. Is this correct? If I had the ISY 26/99, could I access my home automation center from the Internet?
- iLinc can access your home automation from the internet regardless of INSTEON controller device. For the PowerLinc you would enter your router IP and port forward the data to the PC running SDM. For ISY 26/99 iLinc supports a local IP (HTTP) and external router IP (HTTPS) for internet connection.

3. The PowerLinc 2414 - iLinc Pro combination does not appear operate without the computer being on constantly. Is this correct? If I had the ISY 26/99, could it store all of the commands, and activate timers, etc., without the computer being on and using power?
- Correct. In the PowerLinc setup, there MUST be a PC running SDM to serve the requests of iLinc. If you have an ISY, a PC is not needed as the ISY acts as a web server to serve iLinc requests.

4. My wife and I both have iPhones. Is their an easy way to copy the programming of all of the devices and scenes from my iPhone to my wife's iPhone, without entering each of them manually?
- If you are running the PowerLinc, then no. You would need to program in each device on both iPhones. If you are running the ISY you can have both iPhones synced and controlling all devices/scenes/programs in just a matter of seconds as iLinc gets the device/scene/program information off the ISY directly with no required user input (asside from username and password).

5. Once I get everything set up, is there a way that I can print out the configuration of my system and devices to save as a backup?
- No. Please see number 4. The ISY provides a way to backup your configuration to a PC.

6. To save set-up time, is there a way that all of the devices in my system can be "discovered", as per SmartHome advertising for other products?
- Sort of. The ISY provides some auto discovery feature, but it is really a spider crawl of your devices based on linking. Its actually better and easier to start fresh on your ISY.

7. Should I return my PowerLinc 2414 and buy an ISY 26/99? Any other recommendations?
- That would be my personal recommendation. I haven't used a better home automation controller than the ISY. I've been very impressed with it's ease of use and capability. My focus is to continue to support the PowerLinc, but virtually all new features to iLinc are geared to the ISY features as the PowerLinc simply can't compete with the ISY feature set.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments