SmartLinc - INSTEON Central Controller 2414N

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

SmartLinc - INSTEON Central Controller 2414N

Postby Stewie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Will the Insteon Central Control (2414N) be supported by the iPhone application. It is a pain to type in a long and secure password to have access to the home's network. I am a Macintosh person, currently do you have to have a PC consistantly running in the background to access via iPhone app?
Stewie

Re: SmartLinc - INSTEON Central Controller 2414N

Postby AdminWes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Welcome Stewie,

I haven't ruled out the SmartLinc device for iLinc support. My next step is to get the ISY 26/99i supported since there isn't any iPhone interface to the ISY. The SmartLinc does at least have the web interface for the iPhone. After the ISY is supported, I'll look at adding support for the SmartLinc.

I'm assuming that the password pain is the iLinc password you could setup to access your home network? The username/password is optional. If you only use the iPod Touch or iPhone at home then you wouldn't need a password. I would recommend setting the username and password if you open a port in your firewall/router to access your Insteon network from someplace other then your WiFi network.

Currently the SDM software hosted on Insteon's website only works on a Windows-based PC. I've heard that some Mac users that have BootCamp installed can get the SDM software to work on their Window's boot partition. The Windows-PC does need to be on to talk to the iPhone app and the PowerLinc device. The goal of the future releases is to support the ISY and possibly the SmartLinc. This would then remove the need for a separate computer to be on all the time.
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments