Port Forwarding

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Re: Port Forwarding

Postby AdminWes » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the SDM log. This helps me identify the issues. Whenever you see this "getOnLevelText=send failed" or another message with send failed in it, that tells MobiLinc to display an error message that communication failed. It looks like SDM is having a difficult time communicating with your devices. In my testing this is most likely due to noise on the powerline. One thing to try is move your laptop and powerlinc controller to different parts of the house to see if you get better results. Also, check that any computer equipment you have plugged into outlets is either off or filtered with a FilterLinc to reduce powerline noise.

As far as supporting your KPLs, you should be able to add them if you select the Dimmer switch or the on/off Switch when adding your KPL device.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby remposs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Wes, well, I'm "almost" there. I spent pretty much all day moving my laptop all around the house, along with the 2414 module and the 2 wireless access points. I'm in the early stages of moving into this house, so I have very little electronic equipment. I don't even have a TV yet, and the computer I had running off batteries. So, there is virtually nothing that could be creating powerline noise at this point. I am pretty familiar with powerline noise as far as X-10 goes, I install voice recognition home control systems for disabled folks and do a lot of X-10 stuff, but Insteon is all new to me. I do have a pretty expensive meter for checking noise on the powerline and plugged it in throughout the house. Nothing exceptional, in fact lower noise than most places I've checked. But, then again, I don't have the house filled (yet) with power supplies, transformers, and consumer electronics.
Anyway, I am still getting the error message everytime. When I operate a switch locally (from the switch) the SDM software gives me a message of 3 lines, they all read "PLC: eventraw=03" Additionally, the 2414's blue light will flash. So, it appears that the 2414 is picking up the activity on the powerline and the SDM software is responding, but it still doesn't send any status to the iPhone. Ideally, I would love the whole thing to work, the status would be great, but I'll settle for the error message to not occur. As usual, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

BTW, this house is quite large, 4250 s.f. and has a main panel and a sub panel.
remposs

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:26 am

Hi Mark,

We need to figure out why the SDM software thinks there is an error when commanding SDM to send out a command.

During my testing with the PowerLinc and I didn't have my computer equipment filtered I would see something like this where there was unreliable communication and the PowerLinc would send up the error message even through the command would eventually get through to the end device. I know you don't have the noise problem, but I wonder if the size of the house is playing a factor in reliable communication. I don't know what the recommendation is from SmartHome on the Access points, but I'm willing to wager that >4200 sq/ft will require more than 2 access points to effectively mesh all your power lines together...Especially with that sub panel. Although the sub panel may not matter depending on what it is supplying power to.

Do you have a lamplinc module or another plug-in type module that you could plug directly into the back of the PowerLinc? If you do, try plugging in directly to the PowerLinc and try your communication test out again. This will rule out the house as a factor and just examine the communication path between SDM, PowerLinc, and your device. If this works without issue, then I'd look at the house's size as the reason for unreliable communication and pick up at least two additional Access Points.

With your new place as large as it is the PowerLinc isn't really the right device for you. Have you thought about upgrading your setup to the ISY-99? The ISY is a much better Insteon controller, doesn't require a PC to operate, and MobiLinc was written specifically to take advantage of the ISY features like real-time device status.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby remposs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Wes, ok this brings up some other issues. I'm not really eager to shell out $350.00 for the ISY-99, although if that's what it takes, I guess I need to do it. However, I see that the ISY-99 comes with a 2412S PowerLinc and I have read on this forum that the MobiLinc is not compatible with the 2412, only the 2414U which I currently have?????????????? I don't have a serial port on my laptop, so need a USB interface. I'm confused. According to Smarthome, the ISY-99 won't work with my current 2414U and they say it won't work with the 2412U either, that it has to be the 2412S. If that's true, it won't help me. What do you recommend I do? It would be cheaper to buy a few more access points, but I may need that anyway, who knows at this point.

Thanks, Mark
remposs

Postby AdminWes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 am

Hi Mark,

The question on the forums about the 2412 was if MobiLinc can talk directly to the 2412, which it cannot. MobiLinc talks directly to the ISY since it is the ISY that can accept network connections. The 2412 only has a serial interface that the ISY uses to send the Insteon commands over the powerline and is a completly different device with different capabilities then the 2414.

Their naming convention isn't the easiest to understand.

As for the cost, you could go to Universal Devices website and order one of their refurbished models. That's what I did when I first started with the ISY and it's still working great. Note that you will need to order the 2412S from SmartHome still.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Previous

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments