MobiLinc lite and x10

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

MobiLinc lite and x10

Postby mikecip » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:21 pm

does not seem to be working. testing with 2414u with x10 device. setup is good, communication is good. I can see the light on the 2414 flash when I send the commands from iPod but nothing happens.

Any ideas
mikecip

Re: MobiLinc lite and x10

Postby AdminWes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi mikecip,

X10 can be tricky since there isn't a handshake with the X10 device you are trying to control. When you issue the command from MobiLinc can you see activity in the SDM status window? Does it appear that the X10 command you issued from MobiLinc is received by SDM? If yes, then the problem is between the PowerLinc and your X10 device.

Here are a few things to try:
1. Verify that the X10 device you are trying to control, its House and Number code match what you've entered into MobiLinc.
2. Move the PowerLinc module to a different wall outlet away from your computer. In some cases the computer can introduce noise that causes your powerlinc commands to not get to your X10 device. You may need to get an extension cord to test this. If this works, then you will need to put a filter, like the FilterLinc from smarthome, on your computer equipment to keep your powerlines clean.
3. Any errors on MobiLinc when you issue commands to SDM?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mikecip » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:50 am

Err, what status window? The only thing that looks like a status window gets displayed when SDM exists, and it is always blank. I did look a the log files in the timer folder and it looks like the commands are getting logged and sent successfully, just no response from the lights. No errors in the mobilinc either.

I verified the x10 code for accuracy, I tried several outlets but they did not work either. The old controller I am attempting to replace works fine, so I don't believe a filter would be required, but I recall having issues with that as well when it was plugged in near the PC so maybe that is part of the problem. I cannot move it too far away since it has to be teathered with the usb to work with SDM.

I am going to try using my laptop to access the PLC so I can plug it into the outlet that the existing PLC controller is plugged into (not a 2414u by the way, just an old x10 smarthome model).

Since it seems I cannot use the 2414U with my existing smarthome manager (eventhough smarthome told me I could) looks like I am sending it back if I cannot get it to work.
mikecip

Postby AdminWes » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:02 am

Hi Mikecip,

If you look in your task tray the SDM icon looks like a "T". If you double-click this it will show the SDM status window. If there isn't anything in this window, then the SDM software isn't seeing your PowerLinc device. This window will also show all the communication occurring between MobiLinc and SDM to the PowerLinc.

I also agree with your approach, plug the Powerlinc into the existing X10 controller and see if you get better reliability.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments