X10 commands not working for me from iLinc

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

X10 commands not working for me from iLinc

Postby gjfrater » Wed May 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Greetings,

I'm looking for some help using iLinc with X10. It does not work for me. I've tried two different devices, an EZRAin sprinkler timer, and an Insteon Dimmer switch. In both cases iLinc will not control them (neither on nor off) but the X10 remote I have does. I noticed in the SDM logs that the X10 remote and iLinc software communicate a different set of commands for the same action F1 on/off etc. Below is the SDM output from each controller (the X10 remote and the iLinc software). Is there something I need to set on the SDM to get iLinc to work with my X10 devices?

These are sent to an Insteon EZRain sprinkler timer:

X10 remote F1 ON (this works)
PLC:eventraw=08
PLC:receiveX10raw=00 96
PLC:receiveX10=F1
PLC:receiveX10raw=01 92
PLC:receiveX10=F On
PLC:eventraw=02
PLC:eventraw=03
PLC:receiveinsteonraw=02 0C B2 7D 04 00 00 8F 27 80

X10 remote F1 Off (this works)
PLC:receiveX10raw=00 96
PLC:receiveX10=F1
PLC:receiveX10raw=01 93
PLC:receiveX10=F Off
PLC:eventraw=02
PLC:eventraw=03
PLC:receiveinsteonraw=02 0C B2 7D 04 00 00 8F 27 00

iLinc F1 On (no response from remote device)
ui:ResponseF1:sendX10=F1,FON
PLC:ResponseF1:sendx10=True,F1,FON
uifinished:ResponseF1:sendX10=F1,FON

iLinc F1 Off (no response from remote device)
ui:ResponseF1:sendX10=F1,FOFF
PLC:ResponseF1:sendx10=True,F1,FOFF
uifinished:ResponseF1:sendX10=F1,FOFF

These were sent to an Insteon Dimmer switch. For some reason the commands are different than for the EZRain, which I don't understand X10 does not care what type of device it's controlling does it? In either case the results were the same.

X10 remote F15 On (this worked)
PLC:receiveX10raw=00 94
PLC:receiveX10=F15
PLC:receiveX10raw=01 92
PLC:receiveX10=F On

X10 remote F15 Off (this worked)
PLC:receiveX10raw=00 94
PLC:receiveX10=F15
PLC:receiveX10raw=01 93
PLC:receiveX10=F Off

iLinc F15 On (no response from remote device)
ui:ResponseF15:sendX10=F15,FON
PLC:ResponseF15:sendx10=True,F15,FON
uifinished:ResponseF15:sendX10=F15,FON

iLinc F15 Off (no response from remote device)
ui:ResponseF15:sendX10=F15,FOFF
PLC:ResponseF15:sendx10=True,F15,FOFF
uifinished:ResponseF15:sendX10=F15,FOFF

Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

thanks,

-greg
gjfrater

Re: X10 commands not working for me from iLinc

Postby AdminWes » Thu May 28, 2009 6:48 am

Hi gjfrater, I'm sorry to hear you are having some problems setting up iLinc. Here are a couple of questions to help us understand the problem.

In the case of the X10 remote, PowerLinc/SDM is only reading the X10 commands sent over the powerline and not actually issuing the X10 command to the device. What does the X10 remote talk to in order to place the X10 command on the powerline?

It could be that where the Powerlinc is located (next to your computer) that it is unable to establish a good communication to your X10 devices. One thing you could try is to grab an extension cord and plug the Powerlinc into the socket of the device that is receiving the X10 remote signals instead of the socket next to your computer. I'm assuming that this is your setup. Inside of the SDM software type 'dm' to get to the console and then type in 'sendX10=F1,FON' to manually turn F1 on.

Or, move the device that is accepting the X10 remote signals to the outlet where PowerLinc is plugged into and try the X10 remote. Remember to keep your computer on to test noise issues coming from the computer power supply. This will test if PowerLinc has any chance to communicate to your devices based on its location.

It looks like you have your Insteon devices setup in X10 mode? Can you control your Insteon Dimmer switch with its Insteon address (IE XX.XX.XX) through iLinc?
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby gjfrater » Thu May 28, 2009 10:10 pm

In the case of the X10 remote, PowerLinc/SDM is only reading the X10 commands sent over the powerline and not actually issuing the X10 command to the device. What does the X10 remote talk to in order to place the X10 command on the powerline?
That's true, the X10 remote is talking to a cheap x10.com rf receiver (I don't remember the model).

It could be that where the Powerlinc is located (next to your computer) that it is unable to establish a good communication to your X10 devices. One thing you could try is to grab an extension cord and plug the Powerlinc into the socket of the device that is receiving the X10 remote signals instead of the socket next to your computer. I'm assuming that this is your setup.
Okay, good idea (the extension cord), I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Inside of the SDM software type 'dm' to get to the console and then type in 'sendX10=F1,FON' to manually turn F1 on.
Doing this I get no response from the X10 device. I'll try the extension cord tomorrow that should help narrow it down.

It looks like you have your Insteon devices setup in X10 mode? Can you control your Insteon Dimmer switch with its Insteon address (IE XX.XX.XX) through iLinc?
Yes the Dimmer Switches (and the EZRain) respond to both Insteon and X10 at the same time. I'm hoping to get the X10 working through the iLinc so I can control my sprinklers through iLinc too (as a stop gap until the EZRain is supported with native Insteon support). :-)
gjfrater

Postby AdminWes » Fri May 29, 2009 6:55 am

I liked your idea to control EZRain using X10 until iLinc supports it natively. Good work around.

Help me understand the last part of your post. I was attempting to ask the question if, in your setup, you've been able to talk to your Insteon Dimmer switch using iLinc with the dimmer switch's Insteon address. I think you were confirming for me that indeed the devices will respond to both X10 and Insteon commands.

How did the extension cord test go?
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby gjfrater » Fri May 29, 2009 10:09 pm

I liked your idea to control EZRain using X10 until iLinc supports it natively. Good work around.
Thanks.
Help me understand the last part of your post. I was attempting to ask the question if, in your setup, you've been able to talk to your Insteon Dimmer switch using iLinc with the dimmer switch's Insteon address. I think you were confirming for me that indeed the devices will respond to both X10 and Insteon commands.
Correct, I can control the dimmers via iLinc using the Insteon address and with X10 remotes using the X10 address all at the same time.
How did the extension cord test go?
Good, that did the trick, so it's not a problem with iLincs X10 commands but instead the placement of my PLC. Previously I installed a phase coupler (http://www.smarthome.com/2406H/SignaLinc-INSTEON-Phase-Coupler-Hardwired/p.aspx) which has helped with Insteon commands, it's supposed to bridge X10 as well but does not seem to be as effective with that. Could my computer be causing the signal issues? I was wondering if one of these would help (http://www.smarthome.com/1626/FilterLinc-Plug-In-X10-Noise-Filter/p.aspx). What do you think, any suggestions for improving things, I can't plug the PLC in anywhere else (without moving my computer)?

Thanks,

-greg
gjfrater

Postby AdminWes » Sat May 30, 2009 10:48 am

Hi Greg,

Yes, the FilterLincs will help. My setup is similar to yours. In order to get X10 to work correctly in my house I had to put FilterLincs on my 2 PCs and other electronic equipment. Seemed to clear everything up for me.

The reason that the Insteon commands work and the X10 commands don't work where the PLC is located is because the SDM software will attempt to retry to send the Insteon command to the device if the SDM/iLinc software didn't detect that the device accepted the command. Where as X10 is a broadcast based system with no handshaking between SDM/iLinc and X10. I would guess that SDM (or even iLinc) had to retry a few times on each Insteon command issued to establish communication.
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jiuer7845 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:50 pm

jiuer7845

Postby jiuer7845 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:22 pm

jiuer7845

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments