iLinc Lite won't control device

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

iLinc Lite won't control device

Postby alaskapb » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 am

The iLinc Lite appears to be communicating properly in that there are no error messages, but when I try to control the device nothing happens. The software is pointed at the server ip address, port 9020 with the correct username and passwords. I got "true" when testing the connection to the 2414u. So, I can't figure out why it won't turn this lamp on or off.
alaskapb

Re: iLinc Lite won't control device

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:07 pm

It sounds like iLinc is talking to the SDM software ok, it's the PowerLinc Controller having a problem talking to your device. A few questions to help us narrow down the problem:

1. What type of device are you controlling. X10 or Insteon?
2. Have you verified that the correct address is input into iLinc?
3. Most of the time the communication problem with the PowerLinc is due to computer noise interference. Use an extension cord to plug in the PowerLinc into different outlets away from the computer. If that works, then you'll need to put a FilterLinc from Smarthome between the wall socket and your computer power strip.
4. What is the printed output from SDM? IE, in your post you reported SDM showed "True." What is the entire output?
5. Do you have other X10 or Insteon devices you can control with PowerLinc or another controller?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby alaskapb » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:46 pm

1. What type of device are you controlling. X10 or Insteon? Insteon
2. Have you verified that the correct address is input into iLinc? Yes
3. Most of the time the communication problem with the PowerLinc is due to computer noise interference. Use an extension cord to plug in the PowerLinc into different outlets away from the computer. If that works, then you'll need to put a FilterLinc from Smarthome between the wall socket and your computer power strip. I use the same Powerlinc controller with MControl on the same computer and it works fine.
4. What is the printed output from SDM? IE, in your post you reported SDM showed "True." What is the entire output? SDM:DM=active,12.01.138.308,6/7/2009 5:26:16 PM, responded, 0E.0D.B3,2.13,xdevices=True
5. Do you have other X10 or Insteon devices you can control with PowerLinc or another controller? See 3 above. I can control several dozen Insteon devices with MControl through the Powerlinc V2 2414U. I also have a Smartlinc 2412N controller located in another location in the house and I use it without problems. Finally I have an EZServe from Simplehomenet that controls all my devices without issue and it's located in another area yet. I also have a Controllinc plugged into the same receptacle that works fine with the Insteon device in question. All of the computers at this location are plugged into a 15 amp x10 filter which I left in place after migrating from x10 to Insteon. I just tried controlling the said Insteon device from the same iTouch using Smartlinc so WiFi isn't an issue...I'm out of ideas.
alaskapb

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:03 pm

It looks like you've got a solid setup. The only thing that I can see based on the info provided is the entire SDM printouts look suspicious.

SDM is reporting True, however this only indicates that SDM is communicating with the PowerLinc. What does the SDM output look like when you try to command the Insteon device to ON from iLinc?
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby alaskapb » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:01 pm

I get nothing on the general log when I press the on button on iLinc Lite. It doesn't seem the SDM and iLinc are communicating. Also, somehow I have screwed up the username and password because I can't get in when I try to execute isResponding in a browser. How do I eliminate the username and password so I can start over?
alaskapb

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 am

To reset the username and password follow these steps:
On the Windows-based PC running SDM:
- Open the SDM software and click on the "General Log" Tab.
- Type "dm" from the keyboard to have the SDM Console appear.
- Type "setAuthUsername=<username>" Replace <username> with your username.
- Type "setAuthPassword=<password>" Replace <password> with your password.

If you want to remove the username and password try leaving the <username> and <password> fields blank.

I agree with your assessment, it appears that iLinc isn't reaching the SDM software. Here are a few things to verify:
1. iLinc will report an error if it can't reach SDM. Before you have iLinc turn the device on or off, iLinc attempts to talk to the SDM software to get the current status of the Insteon device. Select your device in iLinc and wait for 1 minute on the page where you can command iLinc to turn the device on or off and report back what error iLinc reports.
2. Verify that if you are running any firewall software on your SDM PC that port 9020 (assuming you haven't changed it) is open.
3. Verify your computer's IP address and the IP address in iLinc are the same. If you are using a router's IP address, verify that port 9020 is forwarded correctly from the router to the SDM PC.
4. Once you reset your username and password, verify that iLinc and SDM match.
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby alaskapb » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:07 pm

1. iLinc will report an error if it can't reach SDM. Before you have iLinc turn the device on or off, iLinc attempts to talk to the SDM software to get the current status of the Insteon device. Select your device in iLinc and wait for 1 minute on the page where you can command iLinc to turn the device on or off and report back what error iLinc reports. "Failed to connect, Error received=lost network connection" Now it just spins without reporting anything after I redid the settings...
2. Verify that if you are running any firewall software on your SDM PC that port 9020 (assuming you haven't changed it) is open. Done
3. Verify your computer's IP address and the IP address in iLinc are the same. If you are using a router's IP address, verify that port 9020 is forwarded correctly from the router to the SDM PC. Okay
4. Once you reset your username and password, verify that iLinc and SDM match. Done, but I still think there is a username and password problem because I still can't open the isResponding web page when I right click on the SDM with the username and password I set...As of now iLinc isn't working. I'm baffled.
alaskapb

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:49 pm

I haven't seen the error code "Lost Network Connection" before. That's a new one for me.

It sounds like the SDM software isn't working at all. The isResponding should always work. If that doesn't work, then iLinc doesn't stand a chance. I think at this point I'd verify that you've rebooted your PC, removed the SDM software and reinstalled the latest version of SDM. You can find a link to the latest version of SDM in one of the stickies posted on the home page of this forum.

Let me know how the reinstall goes.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby alaskapb » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:14 pm

I upgraded to iLinc 2.0 and now I can control my lights. I'm not sure what the problem was. I did reinstall the SDM manager and felt dumb when I included < and > when updating the username and password, not realizing those characters became part of the new username and password...I do have one question though: Can I get status of devices now through the 2414? I'm getting a "Failed to Retrieve Status" message that says: The Insteon server did not recognize the module address. Confirm that the address is correct and try again.
alaskapb

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Not sure why upgrading to 2.0 made your lights work all of a sudden. Maybe the reinstall of SDM did the trick.

The message you are getting "The Insteon server did not recognize the module address. Confirm that the address is correct and try again." means that SDM couldn't contact the device address as entered into iLinc. Can you post the SDM printouts for me to take a look at?

Here are a few things to look at:
Verify the device address you are using. If Insteon, the SDM software is expecting a device address like: 01.E4.B6

If you are using an X10 device SDM expects a device address like: A6

If the address is wrong or off by one letter/number SDM will still attempt to contact the device, but will fail to get a response from the "missing" device and will cause the error listed above in iLinc.

Hopefully that helps,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments