Can I access my 2414U over the internet?

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Can I access my 2414U over the internet?

Postby Rad » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:08 am

I can access my 2414U on my local network and do the basic Mobilinc features however I cant access it over the internet. I get: Failed to Connect. Error received = Could not connect to the server.
I have followed the steps as in the Smartlinc forum by entering the external IP address (which is my router's address) and also used port 443.
On my router I configured port forwarding however I cant get the app to connect.

Does this feature work for the 2414U controller?
Rad

Re: Can I access my 2414U over the internet?

Postby AdminWes » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:14 am

Hi Rad,

External access isn't limited to any particular device, it is how your network is configured to forward the traffic from external to internal.

The PowerLinc (2414) has only one IP/Port interface. The default port is 9020 in the SDM software. In MobiLinc there is only one IP/Port address available to configure access to your 2414. For internal access you would use the IP address of the PC that is hosting the SDM software. If you want to use MobiLinc internally and externally you would enter in the router's external IP address in the MobiLinc IP field and port forward all traffic on port 9020 (assuming you didn't change the default) to the computer hosting the SDM software.

So to recap,
In your router port forward traffic on 9020 (or whatever your SDM is set to) to your PC hosting the SDM software.
In MobiLinc change the IP address to the router's external IP address (found by going to http://www.whatismyip.com and use port 9020.

Something to consider is in order for this to work your router must support loopback. Most do, but if you have an older router it may not support loopback.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Rad » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks Wes, I got it to work. What I was doign wrong is that within the iPad settings, under the Mibilinc HD settings, there is a field for Internal IP address and a seperate External IP address field.
FOr the internal IP addrss field I used the IP address of my computer that the 2414U is attached and SDM running.
For the external IP addrsss I used the external IP address of my router.

The above configuration did not work until I changed my Internal IP address to also be the router's external IP address.

It appears to be slower now though to scan all the devices, it does however work.
Rad

Postby AdminWes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:40 am

Hi Rad,

Good to hear you got this to work. The slower scan could be due to having to now bounce through the router to get to your PC hosting the SDM software. Before it would go straight to the PC. How slow is slow? Is this just slightly slower than it was before or many seconds slower per device? And if you pop back to the direct IP method, does the scan pick up speed?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments