Can I make my system work with ML and a2414U?

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Can I make my system work with ML and a2414U?

Postby AMB » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Apologies if I have missed the proper info or FAQ page but I have searched through the forum and in the App store and haven't been able to discover exactly what the various iterations of Mobilinc can do and whether they might work for my set up.

Almost all of my Insteon components were bought and installed in 2008. I have 30 or so switchlinc dimmers, 10 KPL8s, a few wireless motion sensors, a 220/240v 30 amp controller and a 2414U. I was previously using a mac mini and Indigo but the computer died and I'm looking for the most economical solution to control my set up.

I just want to control my lights and co-ordinate scenes, some of which I would like to vary with dawn/dusk if possible but nothing too elaborate. Not interested in adding thermostat control, irrigation, cams/security etc.

I have a few ipads (2 minis, a second gen and 3rd gen retina), a couple iphone 5s and several ipod touch units in the house that can be used for control. The computers in the house are all Macs. Can I simply use one of the Mobilinc apps in conjunction with the 2414U to do what I want to do? Do I need an ISY (I'm looking at a deal on a 994i)? What will the Mobilinc app add if I use it in conjunction with with a 994i aside from being able to control the state of my switches using iOS?

Like I said I apologize for asking such noob questions but perhaps my experience here is not unique, I would suggest that it would be very helpful to post user giudes, FAQs, more info in the app store etc to explain exactly what your product offers, it would probably lead to more sales. Just my $0.02. Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.
AMB

Re: Can I make my system work with ML and a2414U?

Postby AdminWes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi AMB,

Thanks for the post and questions. Let me answer:

- MobiLinc works with the USB version of the 2414 and it must be connected to a PC. However, that product and support is being phased out since it's host software on Windows is longer supported by the manufacturer.
- The recommended controller is the ISY-994i. (http://mobilincstore.com/system/isy-994i-plm-combo.html)
- With MobiLinc you'll get real-time status on your devices, scenes, and programs when paired with the ISY.
- MobiLinc can execute any program and see the status you have setup in the ISY.
- MobiLinc will enable and give you MobiLinc Connect support with the ISY. MobiLinc Connect is our cloud based access service that doesn't require any network changes. It just works.
- MobiLinc has a plug-in option to make setting up timer and motion based scenes and events very easy. A couple of taps in MobiLinc to setup timers and MobiLinc create and writes out all the necessary programming to the ISY.

What else can I help answer?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby AMB » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:34 am

Excellent thank you. Which mobilinc app should I be using. And which plug in is designed to assist configuring timing?
AMB

Postby AdminWes » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:09 am

Hi AMB,

Here's what I recommend:

- Get the ISY controller for your INSTEON network.
- Download MobiLinc HD for your iPad and iPhone.
- Once MobiLinc is setup and connected to your ISY, purchase the Resource Manager plug-in under MobiLinc->My Plug-Ins. Resource Manager gives MobiLinc the ability to setup timers for your devices and scenes. MobiLinc then downloads these programs to the ISY to execute and manage.

Another option: You could also download Orchestrated MobiLinc instead of MobiLinc HD for the iPad/iPhone and this includes the Resource Manager plug-in. Orchestrated MobiLinc is MobiLinc HD with the Resource Manager plug-in included.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments