Android app consistently crashing

Submit your bug reports here.

Android app consistently crashing

Postby propman07 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi-

I have had the app for my Samsung Galaxy S4 for a while now, but recently started to have trouble with it. I'm not sure if the phone was updated by a software push, or if the app was updated. I can access my Insteon controller using the app, and I can get status on my devices. The app crashes when I try to select a scene. Here is part of the error log:

java.lang.classcastexception
android.text.spannablestring cannot be cast to java.lang.string at com.mobileintegratedsolutions.mobilinc.commons.d.b.y.onclick(sourcefile:181)

There is a lot more to the error message, and I have sent the report to the developer using the option in the app several times, but haven't had any type of response. I figured that I would try here before I post negative feedback on Google Play.

Thanks.
propman07

Re: Android app consistently crashing

Postby AdminWes » Sat May 17, 2014 7:42 am

Hi propman07,

Are you using LastPass?

From our Q and A page: http://mobilinc.com/support/commonquestions/

"MobiLinc for Android is crashing after working for months. What's happening?"

Please check if you are using the Android 3rd party app called LastPass. LastPass issued an update in March/April that actively interacts with other apps on your Android device. Some apps, like MobiLinc, do not react well to other apps interacting with their UI.

LastPass has an option to disable interaction with other 3rd party apps. Please disable LastPass for use with MobiLinc.
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby tloomos » Sun May 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Awesome - thank you!! I had been having trouble and figured it was an Android update on my device or something. Based on this thread, I simply went into LastPass on my phone, went to Preferences and then Edit App Associations. For Mobillink Pro I changed it from Default to "Do not show fill window" and everything is working again.
tloomos

Postby mwareman » Sat May 31, 2014 2:35 pm

While I understand its a new LastPass feature, blaming LastPass is bad form IMO. No app should crash on interactions from a third party application. That's not a bug in the third party application, but a vulnerability in MobiLinc waiting to be exploited. I do hope you are planning to fix the bug in MobiLinc that is apparently allowing third party apps to crash it.
mwareman

Postby AdminWes » Sat May 31, 2014 3:26 pm

We are looking into this, however, MobiLinc is not alone in this undesirable behavior. There's a reason LastPass allows you to turn off it's invasive feature on specific apps.

What we don't understand yet is what they are actually changing or interjecting into other apps UI and why it's necessary for a password app to function or how to work around what they are doing.

"No app should crash on interactions from a third party application."
In theory I agree, however, in practice this is impossible to 100% prevent. Especially with the openness of Android where we can't control what other 3rd party apps to do our app.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports