Works great until I turn off WIFI

Submit your bug reports here.

Works great until I turn off WIFI

Postby comfortinc » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:35 pm

I just downloaded the Mobilinc Pro for my DroidX. The app works get with my wifi on but when I try to use it with the wifi off it doesnt work. Error getting access. The smartlinc web page works great too. In my settings I have tried to enter my Local and Extern IP address but am not sure whats what? Please Help.
comfortinc

Re: Works great until I turn off WIFI

Postby AdminWes » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 am

Hi Comfortinc,

The reason this doesn't work right out of the box is because your router doesn't know how to link up the external MobiLinc requests (when you are on 3G) to your SmartLinc that is sitting internal to your network with all of your other computers and other networking equipment. What you need to do to establish this link is to configure your router to port forward traffic from MobiLinc through your router and to your SmartLinc. We have a general guide here that will outline how to do this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=233

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby comfortinc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks for the fast response Wes.
I have a router supplied by my DSL provider as well as a wireless router made by D-Link. Which router will I need to configure? I cant seem to access the setup for the DAP-1522 D-Link router and the router my DSL provider is password protected.

Charlie
comfortinc

Postby AdminWes » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi Charlie,

Is the DSL router an actual router or is that the modem device that converts the DSL signal into something your D-Link router can understand? If this is more than just a signal converter, then you'll need to contact your provider to see what they need to do to allow port forwarding to your D-Link.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby comfortinc » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Ok, so I have contacted my ISP and they have set my router to port forward port 9010. Still not working?
comfortinc

Postby AdminWes » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi Charlie,

I apologize for the delayed response. So let me understand your network here with a simple illustration:

Internet -> DSL Router (port 9010) -> D-Link -> SmartLinc (port 9010)

Is that correct?

So if I understand this correctly, Internet requests coming from the outside word, hit your DSL router and forward to your D-Link router on port 9010. Now, what is your D-Link router doing with that traffic? The D-Link needs to port forward the 9010 traffic to your SmartLinc INSTEON device. I'm guessing that the D-Link is your equipment and that the ISP did not touch the D-Link router. Can you confirm?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jackmar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:58 pm

I have the same exact problem. I changed the local port to 9010 in both the mobilinc and the router and I added the extern http:// xxx.xx.xxx.xxx IP address of my router into the mobilinc software (it was blank), keeping the extern port of 443 which seems to be a default. I then logged into the router and added a port forward to the smartlinc address using a TCP Protocol. I then turn off my wifi connection so I am only connected by my 3 g connection and it still doesn't work. Now what?

BTW, turning the wifi connection back on still works fine.
jackmar

Postby AdminWes » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:46 am

Hi jackmar,

In your router what port are you portforwarding to your SmartLinc? Since you are using the default of 443 for external connections in MobiLinc, your router would need to portforward external traffic on 443 to your internal SmartLinc on 9010.

My recommendation to make this easier to follow is to use 9010 for everything. In your router, portforward external connections on 9010 to your SmartLinc internal IP on port 9010. In MobiLinc make both the internal and external ports 9010.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jackmar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks for the response. After I posted above, I did change the Mobilinc extern port to 9010 and tried it again, but it still does not work. In my router the port forwarding says 1 to 65535. I'm far from an expert at these things, but I think that covers all ports? I will try to enter 9010 into the router when I get home tonite. I am using the second install of Mobilinc Lite demo which expires tonite (48 hrs). Could the demo version be a problem?
Maybe related, I notice that every morning the WIFI connection also does not work nor does logging into Smartlinc.smarthome find my Smartlinc. I unplug the Smartlinc, then plug it back in and every works again on WIFI.
jackmar

Postby jackmar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Okay,

I changed the router port forwarding to 9010 and it still didn't work. Then I discovered the magic step, with the phone on 3G only, no WIFI, I performed the "sync with Smartlinc" step and wallah, it works now on 3G. The response times are much longer than on WIFI, approx 2-5 seconds to turn on/off a device followed by about the same time to report status, but it does work. I also notice that the small status indicator in the upper right screen is now green but has an "E" in it. Is this normal? What does the status indicator mean?

I can't be the only one who has/had these problems, maybe a future release could automate all these settings?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I can now buy the product.

Jack
jackmar

Next

Return to Bug Reports