Device type information lost

Submit your new Feature Requests and Questions here!

Device type information lost

Postby chago2012 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 am

Last night I noticed that in Mobilinc none of my switchlinc dimmer devices have the dimming slidebar or other dimming control (Dim/Bright). But they used to. For a long time.

It appears Mobilinc recognizes the devices from my Smartlinc controller, but not completely. The controls for on/off and fast on/fast off are there, but it doesn't seem to know anything about dimming. On the device detail page, under Type, it says "03.00". In fact, ALL the devices show the same under type and I'm talking about switchlinc relays, appliancelinc, etc.

I've tried resynching with no success. On a smartphone and on a tablet. How can I get Mobilinc to get/recognize the different device types?

Thanks.
chago2012

Re: Device type information lost

Postby AdminWes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi chago2012,

Are you using HouseLinc at all?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby chago2012 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:16 am

Yes, I'm using Houselinc.
chago2012

Postby AdminWes » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:10 pm

That's the problem.

HouseLinc rewrites the link type information int the SmartLinc's link Database for it's own purposes. MobiLinc relies on this information to be accurate in order to assign device types (dimmers vs. switches) when syncing and reading the link database.

If HouseLinc wasn't being used, the linking device and the SmartLinc maintain the device type link information in the SmartLinc database.MobiLinc is able to read this and understand what kind of device is linked to the SmartLinc. When adding HouseLinc to the mix, HouseLinc overwrites critical information for it's own use thus losing that device type information.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby chago2012 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 am

So... should I take it that there is nothing that can be done about this?

I was wondering what would happen if I went straight to the Smartlinc controller and updated the scenes I have that include only one device (I've created one scene per device in addition to "compound" scenes). The question is whether or not what I update will affect the compound scenes as well.

Before I embarked on this, considering how finicky these Insteon links can be, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it.

Thanks!
chago2012

Postby jackmar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi Wes,

I recently upgraded my Houselinc software to the .59 and now .62 Beta releases which allows the Smartlinc to be used as an HL Gateway. I have also run into the Mobilinc Device type problem described in this thread. The Beta release allowing this new Smartlinc functionality is due to be publicly released shortly and, since the HL software is now free for download from SH, I believe the HL software will become a lot more popular. Owing to the fact that the HL software makes it much easier to install, setup and maintain Insteon devices and scenes, do you think it will be possible to upgrade the Mobilinc software to take this into account. And if so, can this be "added" to what I'm sure is your long list of Mobilinc upgrades?

BTW, the Mobilinc Android app still functions properly to display and operate installed Devices, it's just the Device Type which seems to be off. Hopefully, this is the case and there are no more hidden gotchas

Jack
jackmar

Postby AdminWes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi Jack,

Unfortunately there's not a solution here for MobiLinc to fall back on. If HL is overwriting data in the SmartLinc for it's own purposes, then the auto-discover feature that MobiLinc has will not work completely as intended. HL overwrites the SmartLinc data in a way that MobiLinc sees as all dimmer or ON/OFF devices.

Really the only thing we can do is allow for the deletion of these devices (instead of hiding them). That will give you the ability to add them back in yourself as the proper device type.

Or, the other option is to use the Scene controls.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jackmar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks Wes,

What do you mean exactly by "... use the scene controls."

Jack
jackmar

Postby AdminWes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm referring to your scenes listed under MobiLinc->My Scenes. Should be the same scene list that's active in the SmartLinc.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests and Questions