MobiLinc Slow to Control

Submit your new Feature Requests and Questions here!

MobiLinc Slow to Control

Postby bh56 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm using MobiLinc V1.2.4. I've got and ISY 994i, with the latest firmware.
When I use MobiLinc and want to control an Insteon device, it takes 15-30 seconds to actually execute the command(turn off the light, etc.). If I use the web interface via ISY, it is almost instantaneous. Is there an issue or setting that would effect this. Does anyone else experience this issue? I've got a RAZR Android phone. There seems to be a lag whether I'm on wi-fi or LTE.

Any suggestions?
bh56

Re: MobiLinc Slow to Control

Postby AdminWes » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi bh56,

Are you using out our MobiLinc Cloud Service or are you making a direct IP connection to your ISY?

Also, about how many programs do you have?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mwareman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:03 am

Wes,

If it helps - I will add that I have always seen significant latency on Android connecting to the ISY (either directly or using Connect). The latency seems less with Connect (which is why I changed).

If I use MobiLinc on IOS (ipad or iphone) - it connects almost immediately. It's a stark difference. That's the basis of my comparison - but I've been able to live with it so far.

Michael.
mwareman

Postby bh56 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:59 am

Wes/Michael,
I am not using the Cloud Service. I'm using direct I/P.
I have almost 70 programs defined in my ISY.

Michael, thanks for the additional feedback related to difference between IOS and Android version. I imagine that will be helpful for Wes. This leads me to believe it's not an ISY issue. Which I didn't think it was, seeing if I use the ISY web interface, the response is nearly instant.

I also could maybe understand if the initial load was only slow I could see loading many programs you might have to take that initial hit. But I'm experiencing this after MobiLinc has loaded and I just hit the On/Off button. Then if I go back right away and do this, the response is slow again and over and over.

I would think that MobiLinc would just be calling the API directly, but wondering if it's refreshing things and that's why there is a long lag.

Let me know if you want some help further debugging/testing.

Brian
bh56

Postby mwareman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Wes,

If it helps you - I have 224 programs. It can sometimes take 3 minutes or more from application startup until I see status of devices - that's when I do not use SSL. This is on a Nexus 5 - so I know it's not a phone performance issue.

Given that (I at least) never use programs (or devices for that matter) on MobiLinc (I only use scenes) - and your thought that it could be something to do with a proliferation of programs - is there a way for us to simply opt-out of retrieving status of the elements we don't really want synced - in the name of performance? I notice that we can 'Hide' nodes - does that stop MobiLinc from polling their status on startup?

Michael.
mwareman

Postby mwareman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Quick update. I 'Hid' all my programs and most of my 'Devices' - and that did speed things up - at least superficially - at least for me. Wes: Can you confirm that 'hiding' a node causes mobiLinc to not poll it any more (as opposed to only suppressing it from the UI).

It does raise another question for me though. When viewing a 'scene' on MobiLinc - where does it get the status of the scene from? UDI has said (after much debate) that there is no reliable way to obtain the 'status' of a 'scene'. What is the algorithm you use?

That being said - this was HTTP. 10 seconds or so now for the 'scenes' status to fill in. 15 seconds for the 'L' to stop it's 'spinning'. Over SSL - it took 30 seconds for the scenes status to fill in. After 3 minutes - the 'S' is still 'spinning'. Something especially still seems to be an issue over HTTPS - maybe it's not doing SSL session reuse?

I tend to leave my MobiLinc on SSL - so this is likely why I saw the issue lots.

Thanks,

Michael.
mwareman

Postby bh56 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:59 am

Michael,
Thanks for the additional information. One thing I got to thinking related to my slowdown. Do you have the Weather module? I just added this a week or two ago. I do seem to correlate the more extensive slowness related to this timing.

Wes, anything you can see where there might be a correlation to the weather module?

Brian
bh56

Postby mwareman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:50 am

Indeed, I do have the weather module. Something else to look at I think.

Michael.
mwareman

Postby AdminWes » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:21 am

Hi Michael and Brian,

Let's start from a known starting point. Make sure that MobiLinc is set to use a direct IP connect over HTTP. Do not use SSL/HTTPS.

Also, make sure you are on your local Wi-Fi connection.

Try MobiLinc under this scenario. You should see device and scene status the quickest this way. Program status will come in linearly depending on the number of programs you have. Unfortunately there is an ISY limitation where nothing (not even another program) can issue device/scene ON/OFF commands while another client is gathering the program list. MobiLinc requests the program list on start to resync itself with the actual ISY. The side effect is during that time period (less than a second to several seconds) you cannot issue ON/OFF commands (they get queued up). We've requested UDI reconsider parts of this design.

A note about SSL. HTTPS and SSL with the ISY will give widely different speed results. If you are using a key strength over 512 bits between the Android OS and the ISY, it can take up to 15-20 seconds just to generate the handshake SSL negotiation. If you are concerned about the stream security when away, I recommend using MobiLinc Connect (we do it differently to not incur this SSL delay) or stick with 512 or 1024 bit key lengths.

Do not look to the spinning L/S indicator as to when you can issue commands. You can start issuing commands immediately. MobiLinc will queue these up and send them when it can.

Weather should have zero effect on the speed.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bh56 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Wes,

As you instructed, I changed to not use SSL/HTTPS. I was already using direct IP connect over HTTP.

I also changed to Local Connection.

I did notice a dramatic speed improvement.
I went back to ssl and it was slow again.

I recently upgraded to the ISY Pro version that I think had some different network settings. I did have my Strength on Medium for both the Server and Client settings. I changed to low, but didn't see much improvement.

There are also different Protocol settings. Currently have set to SSL 3.0. But there are also TLS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2.

I really would want to run over SSL for security purposes. But I do not like the lag.

My phone is a RAZR MAXX, so not that old of a phone. Michael said his is a Nexus, so that should not be a problem for his phone.

SSL on the ISY web interface does not experience any lag either.

I also get the slowness when using widgets as well.

Michael mentioned no issues on IOS, so is there a platform difference.

Any other suggestions to improve my speed but still using secure connection?
bh56

Next

Return to Feature Requests and Questions