Dynamic IP Address

Submit your new Feature Requests and Questions here!

Dynamic IP Address

Postby VanEvo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 am

Just installed MobiLinc Lite on my Sprint EVO, and it seems to work fine so far. Just a couple of issues during setup - the External IP and Port were left blank in the Lighting Controller Settings page. I logged into my router and retrieved my IP address from its Status page, entered that in MobiLinc (along with port 8000, same as internal port). Then I turned off the Evo's Wifi and was able to control devices. The other issue was I had to manually add the thermostat device. No problem doing that.

I do have a question concerning IP addresses. I have a DSL internet connection. If my ISP happens to change the IP address, will MobiLinc detect that change (similar to the way smartlinc.smarthome.com does)?

Thanks for the reply, and keep up the good work.

Van
VanEvo

Re: Dynamic IP Address

Postby AdminWes » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi Van,

Thank you for the feedback!

For your IP Address question, MobiLinc does not auto-detect and change your external IP address based on the smartlinc.smarthom.com site. We have added this as a feature request. What we recommend is that you use a dynamic DNS service like http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/ to track your IP address moving based on your ISPs IP assignment. Most routers allow for a dynamic DNS service to be setup through the router firmware.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests and Questions