What new features would you want in MobiLinc?

Post your new feature requests here! Future development features will be announced here.

Re: What new features would you want in MobiLinc?

Postby bcall » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:20 am

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the fast reply. Let me clarify my request. Btw- I'm using an isy-99i.

I have only scenes and programs as favorites. After posting my request I tried adding a device to favorites as a test and found that device status is already reflected on the favorites page. You're way ahead of me. :)

As for scenes, I understand what you're saying about the isy not keeping track. I was thinking about being able to look over at my kpl and see if a scene is on and was hoping there was some way to track that. But it sounds like it's a bigger deal than I thought.

However, the programs may be a different story. For my use, the status of the programs would be the most important thing for me on the favorites screen. The favorites screen currently shows the name of the program and the last time it was run. If one or both of those were to be in the color associated with the program's status, that would be all I'd need. Then I could tell at a glance whether the program was in a true or false state without any of the currently displayed information needing to change. Please amend my prior request to just be this.

This did trigger another idea, though. It would be nice if the favorites screen only showed headings for the categories with favorites selected. For example, since I don't favorite any of my devices directly, that heading would not show up, moving everything else up on the screen. Alternatively, if there was a setting to designate the order of the categories (i.e., make programs first, scenes secend...) that would address the same thing. Not a big deal though.

I'd also like to say that I really like Mobilinc. I've played around with several of the other iPhone home automation apps. Some of them have some nice ui features (like the ability to have a room layout with light bulb icons, etc). But, after all the experimenting, I've found mobilinc to be the quickest on startup and the most reliable overall, and I think those are two of the highest priorities. Great job!

Brad
bcall

Postby AdminWes » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:46 am

Hi Brad,

I'm working on a method to implement scene status, but it's a fairly complicated problem to come up with a solution that works for everyone. Since the ISY doens't track scene status I would have to come up with all the logic to support this.

I understand the issue of Program Status. Probably what I'll need to add on the favorites screen is a Program status indicator as well as the current information I've choosen to display. I'll add it to the feature list. Thanks for your input.

I'm also working on a way to make the favorites list in an accordion style where it rolls up the favorite catagories to help minimize the noise on this page. Not displaying a catagory if there are no favorites in that catagory is one option I can play with.

Thank you for your kind words about MobiLinc! I'm glad you like it.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bcall » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi Wes,

FYI - I believe that the isy guys are planning to implement variables in their 2.8 release (as soon as the get the kinks out of 2.7.x). That might be helpful in connection with scene tracking. Of course it would only help for the isy.

As for program status, more info on the favorites page would be perfect. Perhaps a quick interim fix would be to color code the currently displayed info (I.e., the last runtime) based on the status. That would require any re-layout. The last run info could be green if the program was true and red if false (based on the color codes set in the settings).

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Brad
bcall

Postby bcall » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 pm

further fyi - I believe there might be a workaround for scene tracking with the ISY. If you set up a program to run based on the conditions necessary for the scene (i.e., all scene devices at specified levels), then the program will be true when the scene is active and false when it's not. This could then be integrated into Mobilinc by adding a setting for scenes that would allow the user to specify which (if any) program to track to get the scene's status (or you could simply set a default program name based on the scene name w/ a prefix or suffix, and the user would have to make sure the appropriate program used that name).

This might be a simple way to achieve the scene tracking, but again this only applies to the ISY.

Hope this helps.
bcall

Postby AdminWes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:21 am

Hi bcall,

I've been giving the scene status some thought, and I believe I've come up with a solution to implement. I would take the concept of a program in the ISY, but move all that decision logic into MobiLinc so that the end user wouldn't have to create or select a program. MobiLinc would do all the work and determine if a scene is active or inactive.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bcall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Even better! :)
bcall

Postby maxlee » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Another 2412N vote
maxlee

Postby taildrager » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:47 am

To be able to control several venstar thermostats...... I was told when I purchased the 2414 that I could operate my thermostats, I am sitting here with an un opened box, debating if I should return and purchase the smart linc to control with my Iphone, but then again I am not sure I will be keeping the Iphone since there are better and faster smart phones available and cheaper services than AT&T. I see where others are wanting the same feature....... :? :? :? :? :? :arrow: :idea:
taildrager

Postby AdminWes » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Taildragger,

The answer to if the 2414 can control thermostats is technicially correct, but it depends on how you want to interface with the 2414. MobiLinc does not currently support thermostats with the 2414. If you have multiple thermostats you would like to control I'd recommend the ISY-99i. It is about twice that of the smartlinc, but is very easy to setup and configure your insteon network. MobiLinc is also best paired with the ISY. If you go with the ISY, MobiLinc will be able to control all the thermostats you have.

Support for the smartlinc is coming, but no timeframe has been established.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jmulek » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:03 pm

smartlinc for sure. ill buy the pro app the day it happens. Any idea how long?

I think its really cool you ask for feedback.
jmulek

PreviousNext

Return to New Features for MobiLinc