"smooth" joystick control?

Post any feedback and comments you have on our IP Camera support.

"smooth" joystick control?

Postby scottddavis71 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:57 am

I've got my cameras working, so now a couple questions:

1. I have to repeatedly click on the joystick on screen to make camera pan/tilt. I cannot simply hold the joystick to the side and have it pan smoothly. Camera "jumps" a bit every time i click on screen. Any way to change a setting to make this a "smooth" pan, rather than a click-to-pan? Also, only up/down-left/right appear to work. The in-between (ie: up/left or down/right) are not working.

2. On my cameras, i have a "home" position saved in the camera settings. Any way to have the camera return to this "home" position after using the on-screen controls?

3. My Astak cameras have other settings I'd like to toggle on/off. For instance, they can record video/take snapshots on motion detection. I'd like a button on the screen to toggle on/off motion detection before panning/tilting the camera, because they detect camera motion as "movement". Any way to set up this button on screen?

thanks!
scottddavis71

Re: "smooth" joystick control?

Postby AdminWes » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi Scott,

Good to hear you got them working. Comments:

1. This may be fixable by us in a profile update. Please answer the following:
What is your camera manufacture? IE Panasonic
What is your camera model number?
What Pan/Tilt profile do you have selected?

2. Preset positions are something we are working on adding.

3. Specialty functions we likely will not be able to support. There are thousands of IP Cameras and it is not economical to support specific features on one camera. We have to limit our support and time to what 90% of the market can use from us. With that said, there is another way to get what you want. If you are using the ISY controller the ISY has an optional module called Network Resources that you can pay for and install into the ISY. With this module you can setup a Network Resource and a program to drive it to send specific commands to your camera if you know what command format to send. Then in MobiLinc you can tag the program to your camera and tap it to execute it before panning the camera thus achieving what you are looking for.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby scottddavis71 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Camera is an Astak Mole
Model number is IP-700
"Profile 1" is being used.

Good to know you are working on preset positions.

I understand that there are WAY too many cameras to support all the functions for each one. No ISY module, but maybe something i can look into. For now, i just need to launch the YOICS website viewer for the camera, toggle off motion detection, then launch MobiLinc.

Thanks!
scottddavis71

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Scott,

I couldn't find any info on your camera and diagonal controls. Does the camera support diagonal controls through it's web interface? I did create a two new profiles for you to test continuous movement. To test out can confirm what works and doesn't work your camera would you perform the following:

- Open MobiLinc and go to My Settings->IP Camera Settings.
- Create a new camera by tapping the "+" button.
- Enter your camera IP:Port settings and tap Camera Type.
- Tap the Refresh button at the top.
- Confirm that the new profile, version 32, was downloaded and installed.
- Go back and finish the setup of your camera.
- Try Pan/Tilt profiles 2 and 3 and see if either give you continuous movement.

Please report back what you find out.

Thanks!
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby scottddavis71 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Here's a web link that might give you more info on my cameras. http://molecamera.com/html/support.html

I swore i had the diagonal controls, but i double-checked the web inferface, and I dont! only left/right and up/down. No wonder it didnt work!

I follwed your instructions and version 32 is installed and working.

Profiles 2 and 3 work with continous movement Controls are "normal" on 2, and reversed on 3. This works out well, because one of my cameras hangs upside down, so the reversed controls work great for that one.

The refresh rate on my iPhone is a bit slow. I hold the joystick to the side for a couple (2-3 secs) and when i let go, the screen then updates with the new image. Often, I've pan or tilted too far. So while the camera movement is smooth and continous, the on screen image isn't. It's alomst as the camera moves too quickly. Any way to make the movement slower? or is that dependant on the camera itself?

Thanks for all the help!
scottddavis71

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:10 am

Hi Scott,

Great, glad to hear the new profiles worked for you.

The next MobiLinc update should be out this week. When it is released from Apple and you download it, please use Profile 2 for all of your cameras and select the option to inverse the controls in the new update. I will be removing Profile 3 in future release. Profile 2 + inverse controls option should achieve what you need with upside down cameras.

Not sure about the refresh rate. It could be due to many different things. The two most significant factors are how old the iPhone is and the speed of your internet connection. Since these cameras look like they are streaming through a 3rd party service, that's not going to help the refresh rate of the camera.

For a test, can you connect directly to the camera on you local Wi-Fi connection and see how the streaming image compares?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby scottddavis71 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 am

connecting locally: camera updates quickly and movement is smooth. I have a great connection, Verizon Fios, and the iphone is a 4S. Slow down must be the 3rd party connection.

Thank you,
scottddavis71

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:37 am

Hi Scott,

Yup, I think you found it. That doesn't surprise me. The drawback to always being able to access your camera through the 3rd party is going to be added delay and restricted bandwidth.

One option is to setup port forwarding and access your cameras directly instead of going through the 3rd party. This should get you the best speed performance by eliminating the middle-man.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to Feedback and Comments