Mobilinc Connect with Cam?

Post any feedback and comments you have on our IP Camera support.

Mobilinc Connect with Cam?

Postby miataguy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:58 pm

I set up a cam, and it works fine through Mobilinc, but in order to get it working from outside my network, I had to set up port forwarding. Why doesn't Mobilinc Connect insulate me from this like it does with the ISY? I wouldn't mind the port forwarding, except that I don't have a static public IP, and I'm not crazy about using a dynamic DNS service.

Can't Mobilinc Connect handle this?
miataguy

Re: Mobilinc Connect with Cam?

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi miataguy,

We wish it could. Here's the problem. The device inside of your network MUST be the one to make the connection to our servers. The ISY's MobiLinc Portal Module allow the ISY to understand how to connect and stay connected to our servers allowing your MobiLinc app to always "find" and connect to your ISY.

The IP Camera manufacture would have to do something similar to have their device know about and connect automatically to our servers in order for this to be seamless like it is with the ISY and MobiLinc Connect.

Long term we'd like to figure out ways to implement something like this, but nothing like this exists today, unless your IP Camera manufacture supports a server based feature like this.

For now, if you'd like to see your cameras while outside of your network you would need to port forward the traffic. See if your camera supports a dynamic DNS service. That would make it slightly easier to setup and maintain.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to Feedback and Comments