Tasker Execution of Mobilinc Programs - Unrelyable

Share how you want to integrate with Tasker!

Tasker Execution of Mobilinc Programs - Unrelyable

Postby MechEng70 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Situation:
ISY
Created a state variable for Away or Home
- sAway (1 for away; 0 for home)
Create Program called - AwayStatus
- If (blank)
- Then ($sAway = 1)
- Else ($sAway = 0)

*Other programs rely on this variable being set.

Tasker
1. Created a Task using the Plugin: Arriving
Configuration:
- Event Type - Program
- Program - AwayStatus
- Action - Run Else

2. Created a Task using the Plugin: Leaving
Configuration:
- Event Type - Program
- Program - AwayStatus
- Action - Run Then

Now when I press the play button on the bottom left, the variables do not change on the ISY.... sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I have two samsung s4s.

thoughts?
MechEng70

Re: Tasker Execution of Mobilinc Programs - Unrelyable

Postby mwareman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:36 am

I stopped using MobiLinc via Tasker a while ago, and moved to Tasker calling the REST API directly (when they added support for self signed certificates). I've started writing it up, but so far only have the ISY => Tasker link (http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index ... ion:Tasker). I really should get on writing up the link the other way for this use case. I have generic 'RunIf', RunThen', and 'RunElse' tasks that take a program ID as a parameter, as well as setting variables as well as turning scenes on and off by ID.

I also have Tasker switching to use non-ssl connections when on the home WiFi for a speedy response. Been 100% reliable since - but its not for the feint of heart.

When using Mobilic in the middle of this, it broke every time I synced. Not good. If does not seem to track the internal IDs and fix the link between the task and ISY ID - so the link easily gets messed up. Go through your Tasker tasks and make sure the correct ISY program is still selected.

Edit: Initial details here: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index ... ing:Tasker
mwareman

Postby AdminWes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi MechEng70 and mwareman,

We're not aware of a MobiLinc condition that would cause the breakage as you've described, however, anytime you make changes to your program list and save, the ISY/Admin Console makes no guarantees as to the Program ID saved back to the ISY. The Program list is consistent with itself and reasonable stable from one save to the next, but there are scenarios where any program *could* be assigned a totally different ID number in the ISY after a save. This is especially true if you try to track the the ID number of a program that's edited and then saved. It almost always changes.

That would be the most common reason I can think of as to why Tasker appears to break. If you are able to come up with a repeatable (different) scenario, please let me know so we can take a look.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mwareman » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Wes,

You are right on the money. Sometimes an ID would change (internally) as I work in the ISY admin UI. The ID as expressed via REST always stays the same though which is why I stopped using Mobilic via Tasker and moved to Tasker calling the REST API directly. It just always works, and never seems to need attention.

With Tasker calling the REST interface directly, I can call the api via my hardware accelerated SSL proxy. This makes the secure API calls work almost instantly, even when on cellular data. Mobilinc does not work thru such a proxy, due to the way ISY implements its event subscription. So, Mobilinc must connect directly to the ISY SSL port, and then things come to an absolute crawl due to ISY not doing SSL very quickly at all.

Finally, I needed to update variables. This has long been sought after on Android MobiLinc (came to IOS a *long* time ago). Once I implemented methods for variables in Tasker, I simply continued using it for everything else.

Unfortunately, I almost never have to open MobiLinc anymore.

Michael.
mwareman

Postby MechEng70 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:00 am

Wes,
thanks. This makes sense. Does it make sense for mobilinc to use the rest api calls instead?
MechEng70

Postby AdminWes » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:04 am

MechEng70,

MobiLinc does use the rest calls where appropriate. We're investigating other options here to prevent this from occurring in MobiLinc.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:40 am

Thanks Wes, that would be great since I have also changed to calling rest directly from Tasker.
Jimbo

Postby robbert2012 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:33 pm

So where does that leave us?
Does that mean that for now, Mobilinb/Tasker/ISY integration is not usable?
BTW, the IOS integration of Mobilinc has the "program-ID changing" problem also.

Does Mobilinc Connect have the same problem?

Thanks

Bert
robbert2012

Postby AdminWes » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:16 am

Hi Bert,

I wouldn't say it's not usable, just be aware that if you change the program name in particular, there might be side effects like this in MobiLinc/Android/Tasker.

Please update your MobiLinc (iOS) to the latest from the app store 4.1.10. We added a fix to address this issue. If the ISY actually changes the ID number, there's nothing that will fix that (UDI said that shouldn't happen), but the workaround we have in 4.1 will address all the other scenarios (like a program name change) that could cause the program to be lost from the Dashboard.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:15 am

Wes, What about Android and Tasker which what started this post?
Jimbo

Next

Return to Tasker Integration