Basic Hiding Scheme

Post your new feature requests here! Future development features will be announced here.

Basic Hiding Scheme

Postby cmaterick » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Would it be possible to do something really basic (perhaps customizable and able to be disabled) to hide anything you don't want to show in the UI (folder, scene, device, program, etc.). I'm thinking as basic as hide everything that starts with an underscore or something like that. I definitely wouldn't mind having a couple of odd names on things in my ISY to be able to avoid having to customize the view within the iLinc application all the time and to be able to "share" the customization across multiple devices. This would be particularly useful for those of us that keep making changes and syncing and those that have multiple iPhones and iPod touches in use.

Thanks
cmaterick

Re: Basic Hiding Scheme

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi cmaterick,

Not a bad idea. Let me take a look into this and see what makes sense. This is something that would be pretty easy to add in.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby cmaterick » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:48 pm

I suppose this point may be moot if you've already got some much cooler way of accomplishing something similar. :) It would just be awful nice to have the customizations somewhere that can be easily backed-up, restored, and shared across devices. The basic approach doesn't handle anything like customizing which actions are shown for each scene, device, etc. That's going to be more of a trick. Short of that, I would love it if I could have a simple setting to just show on/off for all scenes since I don't need to ever brighten, dim, etc. a scene.
cmaterick

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi cmaterick,

This type of featue is actually on my plate and I'm consideing a couple of differnet options. I'm weighing each option with the effort it would take to implement. A scheme to manage global settings accross devices gets complicated quickly.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby cmaterick » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:51 pm

That makes perfect sense. I'm also a programmer by career and hobby, so I know how it goes. Doing something basic like the hiding by name and only showing on/off for scenes could be a really simple way to start down the path. I would assume the features wouldn't upset anybody if you made them so they could be enabled or disabled.

I don't envy the work you have ahead if you plan to do a full settings management, backup, sharing system. You almost need some way for people to save their stuff online and sync up to it when needed. It'll be a lot of work, but really awesome if you can get it running.

If I were writing it for myself, I'd probably go the easy route and have some sort of naming convention. If a scene had the name 011000_My Scene, that would indicate the following:

0 - Disable Brighten functionality
1 - Enable On functionality
1 - Enable Off functionality
0 - Disable Dim functionality
0 - Disable Fast On functionality
0 - Disable Fast Off functionality

Then, just display everything after the _ for the scene name. However, that may be easy, but it's not particularly user friendly. So, I would agree with your approach of something fancier if you actually want other people to use it. :)
cmaterick

Postby AdminWes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:47 am

Hi cmaterick,

I agree, that would do the trick, but not very user friendly. I think that the solutions needs to be one that is easy to use and just works accross your devices. I may start off on the easy path, just to get that kind of support in your hands and then work on a more elegant solution in the background.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby cmaterick » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:49 am

That would be outstanding. Thanks for all your work!
cmaterick

Postby AdminWes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:17 am

Hi cmaterick,

I released a new version of iLinc (now called MobiLinc) to the app store for approval. I took your suggestion and added in a My Settings option where you can enter in any text you want MobiLinc to filter out devices, scenes, and programs. MobiLinc will look at the start of a name and if it matches the text you have entered in the My Settings option, MobiLinc will auto-hide these devices, scenes, and programs.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Grant » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:01 pm

What type of format must the Hide Text function be in?

For instance I want to hide everything that starts with "RL", but I input RL , "RL", RL* , and they are still visible.

Thanks,

Grant
Grant

Postby AdminWes » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi Grant,

No format is necessary. MobiLinc will take whatever is in the text field and filter out the devices/scenes/programs that start with that text verbatium. There was a bug in 2.11 with this text field however that you may be running into. I've fixed it and released 2.12 to Apple for approval. Here's the bug info,

Go into My Settings and check what text is entered in for the Hide Text field. Is it your text or is it "F" or "C"? If it isn't your text, change the text back to RL or your text and then go into My Devices and verify that MobiLinc auto-hides the devices that start with RL. Quit out of MobiLinc and restart, verify that your hide text is in the My Setting field. If it is "F" or "C" then the 2.12 version will fix your issue. This seems to be related if you have multiple profiles in MobiLinc as well.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Next

Return to New Features for MobiLinc