Change Device Icon

Post your new feature requests here! Future development features will be announced here.

Change Device Icon

Postby chilli_pepper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:11 am

Is there a way to change the device icon from a keypadlinc to a normal paddle icon? While a default discovery action showing a keypad device as a keypad device is good, I'd like to be able to change the icon to a paddle.

Why? Because the keypad icon allows a user to get confused with bunches of other buttons that are already represented as device icons. In some cases, the devices the middle buttons control are not in the same room (or folder when using folders to sort devices).

Attached is a screen capture. I'd like to replace icon "B" image with icon "A" image. The middle buttons in "B" control things in the Outside (a different folder).

BTW: The renaming project from my last post "Device or Scene" Aliases http://forum.mobileintegratedsolutions.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=154 is going well. With the above ability:
1) Both the devices and scenes folder will have similar functions.
2) on Mobilinc full refresh from the ISY, secondary devices will be easy to identify and remove from Mobilinc because the names will have a <device name>@<Location> name.

This is turning into an easy to use implementation. Thanks!

--C
Attachments
photo-44.JPG
photo-44.JPG (35.61 KiB) Viewed 7421 times
chilli_pepper

Re: Change Device Icon

Postby AdminWes » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 am

Excellent! Glad to hear the rename plan is working for your setup.

Right now, no there isn't a way to force MobiLinc to use a different graphic for the interface. That's an interesting suggestion. What would happen to all the KPL buttons in this case? Would the KPL just break down into all the subparts as individual switches?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby chilli_pepper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:34 pm

I'd propose keeping it simple and allowing a KPL6 or KPL8 revert to a simple paddle and be attached to button position 1. This is the button that is physically associated (wired) with a device.

Breaking all the buttons down is an interesting idea but likely a more challenging programming task. One could also argue the other buttons as "scenes" to other Insteon devices - thus by definition a "scene" and not a "device".

Thanks for considering this request.

--C
chilli_pepper

Postby AdminWes » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 am

I agree that most folks would use the KPL buttons as scenes, but not all would agree with that approach. One of the challenging things with developing software is creating an interface that works for most folks. Specialty changes like this tend to start getting decisive with different groups of people wanting to get different things out of the interface. The challenge is coming up with something that works for most everyone that doesn't alienate.

We will kick this around and see if we can find a solution that works.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to New Features for MobiLinc