Local Wifi Sync and connecting via internet

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Local Wifi Sync and connecting via internet

Postby jbredz28 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:53 am

I was able to sync to my ISY-99 on my local Wifi Network as the app automatically found the ISY's internal IP address on my home network. How am I able to connect when away from home using the ISY's external IP address? Can I only have the internal IP stored in the App or can I also store the external somehow? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
jbredz28

Re: Local Wifi Sync and connecting via internet

Postby AdminWes » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:33 am

Hi jbredz28,

iLinc will intially use the internal IP address that ISY has assigned from your router/DHCP server. In order to connect to ISY externally from your home follow these steps:

1. Find your external IP address. ISY will tell you what that is if you enable internet access from within the ISY admin console. Or, you can find your external IP address by logging into your router and look for the IP address your internet provider has assigned to your router.
2. Port forward the ISY communication port. Log into your router and find the page option in the router that allows you to port forward data to an internal IP address. Here you need to enter two pieces of information. Enter in the internal IP address that is assigned to ISY, and enter the port to forward the data on. ISY defaults to port 80 for HTTP access and port 443 for HTTPS access. NOTE: Most internet providers block incomming data on port 80. I'd recommend that you set this value to 443 and use HTTPS access.
3. Enter info in iLinc.
a. Open iLinc and go to the "My Settings" page.
b. Select HTTPS for "Connect Method".
c. Enter the external IP address for the "Host - https://" field.
d. Enter "443" for the Port.
4. Tap the Sync button and iLinc will attempt to sync with ISY over HTTPS.

Once you have these steps in place you won't need to go back to your internal IP address as using the external IP address, even if you are on the internal wifi network, will work just as well.

One thing to note is that if ISY reboots it may be possible ISY will receive a different IP address then what is currently assigned. If that happens then your router will forward the data to the wrong internal IP address. You have two options here:
1. Re-enter the ISY IP address in the router to forward the data to the new port.
2. Tell ISY to use a fixed internal IP address that doesn't change from reboot to reboot. This is a bit more complicated to do and instructions for performing this can be found on the Universal-Devices Wiki page (http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Advanced_Configuration_Guide#CT_.E2.80.93_Configure_TCP.2FIP)
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jbredz28 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:23 am

I have it working via the 3G internet. I don't think I gave it the few seconds it needed to refresh the device list's status last night (a lot of devices I guess). The local wifi is obviously slightly quicker.

This description may have confused me "Automatic Sync with ISY on Local WiFi"
jbredz28

Postby AdminWes » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:27 am

Hi jbredz28,

I could see how that description might mislead you. I think you've got it figured out. iLinc will sync and receive status updates either at home on your local Wi-Fi network or while you are on the 3G cellular network. And you are correct, 3G is quite a bit slower when compared to Wi-Fi. Over Wi-Fi the response times are very fast, almost instantly. Over 3G, depending on cell traffic, could take a few seconds to issues and receive commands to ISY.

Another feature you might discover is iLinc will transition from Wi-Fi to 3G as you leave your house. It happens behind the scenes as wi-fi drops off. What you'll see with your status updates is as wi-fi drops out, iLinc is tracking a heartbeat monitor from ISY (ISY currently defaults to a 2 minute heartbeat). After 2 minutes, iLinc will detect that the ISY heartbeat is gone and will re-open the subscription channel (status updates) to ISY over whatever network connection is available such as 3G.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby jbredz28 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:11 am

Wes,

I appreciate your prompt responses and I love the app so far. I am in the process of figuring out what devices and scenes to remove from the app and which scenes to make favorites. I might also create more scenes specifically designed for use with the app. I am trying to think of suggestions for future versions of the app and will post any ideas I come up with.
jbredz28

Postby AdminWes » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:27 am

Not a problem. Glad to help get your setup working. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome here.

Thanks,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mozman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:32 pm

Is it possible to have iLinc only show some of the devices and scenes that are in the ISY? This seems to be implied by jbredz28's post:

jbredz28 wrote:I am in the process of figuring out what devices and scenes to remove from the app and which scenes to make favorites.

I couldn't see any way on iLinc to show only a subset of the devices and scenes, but I would be interested in this feature.
mozman

Postby gswartzl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Good day,

I've just joined this forum and need a little help with remote access to the ISY-99i from iLinc. I have enabled a static IP address in the ISY and it is working fine. I can access the ISY from a remote computer by using a URL supplied by DynDNS to my router's dynamic IP, and I'm able to display and use the ISY admin page.

iLinc will also work this way - through the URL supplied by DynDNS - but only remotely. I will work only locally (via WiFi) when configured with the ISY IP address. I'm using HTTPS and have forwarded port 443 on my 2WIRE DSL router.

I'm very impressed with the iLinc and look forward to figuring out this little problem. BTW: I also have the SmartLinc that I've been using through the iPhone web app, but am not happy with convenience of using Safari to access my lighting. I've noted that you also support the SmartLinc, and could conceivably use that for iLinc access, but I was hoping to return it for a refund and only use the ISY.

I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!
gswartzl

Postby AdminWes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi gswartzl,

It sounds like an IP traffic routing problem. I've seen where others have had similar issues. In their case the problem was with the router not allowing internal loopback forwarding. IE since you are on your internal network the router wouldn't allow an internal address to talk to the router's dynamic IP address and forward the traffic to another different internal IP address. The good news was that it turned out to be a router configuration setting. Take a look in your router settings and see if something pops out like this. If not let me know and I can dig into your router a bit further.

As for the SmartLinc, iLinc doesn't support this yet. iLinc DOES support the PowerLinc 2414 USB or serial and the ISY 26/99. After I fully support the ISY my plan is to tackle the SmartLinc device. Do you have the 2.0 version of SmartLinc? I've heard that they've implemented a real-time feedback options through the web interface and was wondering how well that was working for folks.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby gswartzl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks Wes,

So far I'm stumped with the 2WIRE router, but I've also emailed UD tech support to see if they can help. It is not one of their "supported" routers.

Anyway, my SmartLinc is new so I assume it is 2.0. It seems to work seemlessly in and outside my local area network, but I just don't like the web interface. By the time it comes up and I can control something, I could walk downstairs and turn the lights off - or whatever.

I've just received an RMA for the device, but I have 30 days to return it. If there is something you would like to know about it, I can try to figure it out for you.

I also have both the usb and serial PowerLincs - I was using the Smarthome HouseLinc Desktop, but I think the ISY is a better solution. I just took advantage of their 26 to 99i upgrade discount. I guess they are discontinuing the 26. I didn't want to be stuck with an orphan that isn't supported.

I have 100 Insteon devices in my house with nearly as many scenes. So far, just lighting and the garage door kit, but I may expand this to other areas eventually. Your product is a good start - very fast response. The interface needs some refinements, but I see that you are working on that. When you have 100 devices, scrolling gets tedious.

Thanks for a great product at a great price!
gswartzl

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments