PLC to ISY/PLM migration

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

PLC to ISY/PLM migration

Postby bwade913 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:03 pm

I've just converted from a PLC to an ISY/PLM configuration and got a surprise. When I plugged the ISY/PLM in and started iLinc, it auto-configured itself to talk to the ISY and so broke my existing PLC configuration. So I was up and running on the ISY instantly, a commendable attention to ease of use but I lost access to all the device addresses that were stored in the PLC configuration. Not sure what would have happened if I had shut down the ISY and then reconfigured iLinc to talk to the PLC. I just went ahead and configured the ISY and it's working quite well so far. Maybe it would be better to make the auto-configuration optional via a pop-up window.
bwade913

Re: PLC to ISY/PLM migration

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 am

Hi bwade913,

You bring up a good point with migrating from the PLC world to the ISY. I made a judgement call in the design of iLinc to default to using the ISY as the connection method if it was available. What I should do is add in a popup, like you suggested, to tell the user that iLinc is currently configured for the PLC and ask if the user would like to connect and sync with the ISY. I should also include a statement that by syncing with the ISY, the PLC configuration is overwritten with the ISY configuration.

Thanks for the feedback. I bet you aren't the only one that will migrate from the PLC to the ISY.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bwade913 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for the response. So if I have multiple ISY's at different locations, iLinc will automatically connect and sync to them? I'm thinking of getting another ISY for a vacation home.
bwade913

Postby AdminWes » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi bwade913,

Yes, iLinc will auto-detect any ISYs on your local network and list it in the settings page under "Host Type", but it will not auto-sync with the new ISY if you've sync'd with your primary ISY . In your situation, when you are logged into the vacation home wifi network, open iLinc and go to My Settings and select your ISY listed under "Host Type" and then tap "Sync" to sync iLinc to your vacation home ISY.

I could explore the possibility of adding this feature to turn on a location aware service under settings so that you have the option to instruct iLinc to auto-login to what ever ISY iLinc sees. In other words it wouldn't be tied to a particular ISY, but iLinc would still need to remember all the favorites associated with each ISY.

Something to consider for a future update...

Thanks,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby AdminWes » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:21 am

Hi bwade913,

The 2.10 update has been release to Apple for approval:
http://www.mobileintegratedsolutions.com/utilities/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=155

This update supports multiple profiles so you can now connect to your PowerLinc device and ISY devices by changing which profile is the active profile.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bwade913 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:05 am

Very nice work. I've already set up two profiles for accessing my home ISY from the internal network and externally using https. I'm heading up to my vacation home this weekend and will set up another ISY there.

Bret
bwade913

Postby AdminWes » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:12 am

Hi Bret,

Glad to hear it's working well for you. One suggestion, if I may. You can setup one profile for both the internal IP and external IP of your ISY and if you set the connect method to Auto, iLinc to automaticially pick the right IP address (HTTP or HTTPS) to use based on if you are connected to your local Wi-Fi network. That way you don't have to have two different profiles for the same ISY. Just one, and iLinc detects and uses the right IP address to connect.

Maybe I didn't understand how you are using your profiles, so please let me know if you are using it differently then I've suggested here.

Thanks,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bwade913 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks Wes, I hadn't noticed the Auto Connect feature. It works fine.

Bret
bwade913

Postby AdminWes » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi Bret,

Great! Glad to hear it.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bwade913 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi Wes,

The HTTPS and Autoconnect features work fine with a wireless connection but not with a 3G connection. Is that expected behavior?

Thanks,
Bret
bwade913

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments