Scene status, etc.

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Scene status, etc.

Postby belias » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:49 am

Hello,

I'm a new user of the ISY and MobiLinc and I have to say it's an impressive combination. MobiLinc provides the polished end user interface that's missing from the very powerful ISY back-end. Awesome App!!

Naturally, I have a few suggestions after using it for a few days :-) Here goes:

1. I would like to be able to install MobiLinc on my family's iPhones to allow them simple control over lights. In order to keep thing simple (and my system synchronized) what they need is a simple interface to control scenes. The favorites page does this well, but it doesn't report scene status which makes things a bit confusing. It would be great if I could identify a member in a scene and MobiLinc would report that device's status on the favorites page (maybe by a color change).

2. For the same reasons as above, a way to lock out the more advanced controls would be quite useful. I see how to remove specific devices, but I also don't want my family to have easy access to programs, etc. A way to only show the My Favorites (after initial setup) would be ideal.

Thanks for the great software and the great support!!

- Brian
belias

Re: Scene status, etc.

Postby AdminWes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 am

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the feature suggestions.

1. Scene status is something I'm working on. This doesn't get tracked or reported by the ISY, so I have to figure on on the fly what the scene status should be.

2. Good suggestion, I'll add it to the feature list and see how I can work this in.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby belias » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:30 am

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the quick reply! I see how the scene status thing is a bit tricky...

I recently transitioned from the SmartLinc, and they way that unit handles it is by allowing the user to simply choose the device they want to represent the status of the scene. It's served the purpose well, but obviously has limitations.

From my perspective, the best would be to compare each device in the scene to the settings stored in the ISY - if all match, then the scene is active. In other words, say Scene 1 calls for: Device A ON, Device B OFF, Device C at 35%... Any time all of these were true, the scene would show as ON. Regardless of how the devices got to that point (ISY command, controller command, local on, etc.) - the scene is still ON. Anytime these devices aren't on as prescribed in the scene settings (in the ISY), the scene should be represented as OFF.

I realize this all sounds great...but making it happen behind the scenes is a whole different story. Thanks for hearing me out - and again, thanks for a great app!

-Brian
belias

Postby AdminWes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi Brian,

You must be reading my mind. This is close to how scene status will work. It's a little bit trickier then this, but that's for me to worry about.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby belias » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:31 am

Hi Wes,

The scene status sounds great - also a big thanks for 2.13. The guest mode is perfect for my use.

I have a few questions on scenes in my setup...I'm hoping you may have some ideas:

1. I have one scene that always shows a "Bad Message" error box when trying to turn on/off from MobiLinc. It works fine from other devices through the ISY. I've tried a re-sync with no luck. Other scenes are fine.

2. I have the dimming interval set to 20% in My Settings. This works as expected when dimming a device directly. However, when I dim a scene it's much slower - maybe 5 to 10%. Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks again,

Brian
belias

Postby AdminWes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Brian,

Glad to hear that guest mode will work for you!

1. I've seen the ISY return this message to me very rarely. When I do see it I just issue the command again and it all goes through. Certaintly not each time for the same scene. I wonder, try resyncing with the ISY in MobiLinc and select the Update option. Try your scene again and see if that fixed it. Did you make any changes to this scene without MobiLinc connected to your ISY to monitor the change?

2. The dimming interval only applies to devices. This is because there isn't a concept of scene status from the ISY. Perhaps once I can implement scene status in MobiLinc, I could apply the dimming interval value from the my settings page to scenes as well.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby belias » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 am

Hi Wes!

1. For whatever reason this same error message has persisted through many updates and happens on both of my family's iPhones - it's not random for me (happens all the time), but it is isolated to only that one scene as far as I can tell. I tried having MobiLinc connected while making changes to the scene (add / remove responders, etc.) and MobiLinc picks it up instantly however still gives the same "bad message" error whenever I try to send a command to the scene. I can control individual devices in the scene with no problem. If you don't have any other ideas, I can try removing / re-creating the scene but I'm a little nervous to do that since it's in a LOT of programs....

2. This makes sense...the reason I'm so caught up with being able to control scene's is because in my house most of the lights are represented on a KPL somewhere or linked to something. Allowing individual device control would be a nightmare, or would require MANY programs that monitor status events to keep my KPL's updated... I have to say though, so far the family loves this app - especially the speed of loading and never having to fight with 3G vs. WiFi connection.

Thanks again,

- Brian
belias

Postby AdminWes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Brian,

1. At this point I'd try rebooting the ISY just to rule that out. If you still have the scene problem create a new scene that is identical to the current (bad message) scene in a different folder and verify that it works with MobiLinc. If that works, then I would go through and swap out the bad message scene for the good scene with your programs and then delete the old scene. A pain for sure, but it sounds like the ISY no longer recognizes the scene address that MobiLinc saved off from the ISY during a sync operation. A strange disconnect in the ISY for sure.

2. Hang in there for scene status. I think that may help solve your problem.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby belias » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:09 am

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Tried rebooting the ISY with no luck. Creating a new scene (and removing the old one) seemed to do the trick. I also discovered the ISY's find/replace feature at the same time, so it wasn't anywhere near as painful as I thought.

2. Sounds great! Glad to add to the to-do list :-)

- Brian
belias

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments