Syncing Sporadic Since Latest Update

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Syncing Sporadic Since Latest Update

Postby macchu » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 pm

I use Mobilinc Pro on an iPod Touch 4g over WiFi with an ISY-99i/IR Pro. This setup has been exceptionally stable until the latest upgrade to MobiLinc from the App Store (within the past 2 weeks). Occasionally now MobiLinc will not sync automatically or manually with the ISY-99 and my Insteon devices will not respond to commands from MobiLinc. After the update was installed, I got one or two network error messages when opening MobiLinc. I've worked around this by powering off both the iPod Touch and the ISY-99. Everything seems to work smoothly after that, at least for a while. I've heard that the update can trigger a misassignment of IP addresses by the ISY or router. What is the fix? Thank you.
macchu

Re: Syncing Sporadic Since Latest Update

Postby AdminWes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:38 am

Hi macchu,

The likely cause was that the ISY-99i had a different IP address than what MobiLinc expected to see since the last time MobiLinc was able to communicate to your ISY. If the ISY is configured to auto-assign itself an IP address through DHCP then when there is a power interruption and the ISY is forced to reboot, the DHCP service from the router will assign the ISY a new (and maybe different) IP address.

MobiLinc does attempt to detect these changes, but there are cases where this doesn't fully flow to MobiLinc. If you are concerned about IP addresses changing on power cycles, my recommendation would be to assign the ISY a static IP address through the Admin console. That way on a power cycle, the ISY always starts back up with the same IP address.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby macchu » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:07 am

Wes---Thanks. I assume you are saying that I should assign the static IP address to the ISY using the admin console of the router, correct?
macchu

Postby AdminWes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:15 am

Actually, use the Admin console of the ISY to assign the static IP. When assigning the static IP make sure that the IP address you are assigning is outside of the range of DHCP addresses the router wants to pool from. For example, the router may want the range: 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.100. You should assign a static IP of 192.168.1.101 or greater.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby andyf0 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:49 pm

I have to agree with others on this. With ISY 3.1.9 and the latest Mobilinc update, Mobilinc will not update current status of devices when resumed from idle. It appears to have connection problems with ISY because after a couple of minutes it sometimes comes up with a connection error. Retries work OK.

If I change the state of a scene in the ISY from MobiLinc it actually changes the state in the ISY correctly but does not update the current status in Mobilinc.

I think I read there was a connection problem in 3.1.9 which will be fixed in 3.1.10. Here's hoping.
andyf0

Postby AdminWes » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Andy,

Yes, 3.1.8 and 3.1.9 have a few issues with auto-discovery and dropped connections. I know the UDI guys are working hard to address these items and will relelase .10 just as soon as they are ready to have it go live. Hang in there, I know UDI is working very hard to fix it.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments