3g not connecting

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

3g not connecting

Postby mrxmas » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:46 pm

I have a ISY 99 system, I downloaded the lite version of mobilinc. Got it to work fine with the wi-fi in the house. Can not connect over the 3g on my Sprint Evo. Not sure what I am doing wrong??
mrxmas

Re: 3g not connecting

Postby AdminWes » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi there,

In order to get external access to work over 3G your router must be configured to port forward external traffic requests from MobiLinc to your ISY internally in your network. Here is a short forum post outlining, in general, how to do this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=123

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bmiller » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:58 am

I am setting up port forwarding on my Airport extreme with utility v6.1. Before i mess things up i wanted to make sure i have all the settings right. I think i have private ip address wrong or the ip4v address wrong. 10.0.1.46 is the http address i got from the console config. tab and the 10.0.1.201 is the default address when i open the port mapping tab. The mac address should be ok. I got that from the about tab in console. Please help with identifying the proper address to put in the DHCP resevations and port mapping windows.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 7.50.50 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 7.50.50 AM.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 7.48.22 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-08-05 at 7.48.22 AM.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
bmiller

Postby AdminWes » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:54 am

Hi bmiller,

Our recommended solution for remote access is MobiLinc Connect. With MobiLinc Connect you'll have access to your ISY with MobiLinc anywhere you have internet access...no port forward or router configuration required.

To get started please have Admin Console access to your ISY and open MobiLinc and go to My Settings->Lighting Controller->Host Type and select MobiLinc Connect. Follow the instructions on screen to create a new account and get started.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bmiller » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks, but that doesn't answer the question. I'm aware of connect, but i'm interested in figuring out the manual method that the program has access to.
bmiller

Postby AdminWes » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:33 pm

My apologies,

MobiLinc Connect is by far the easiest way to get remote access working with MobiLinc instead of having u=to configure your router correctly.

Based on your info it looks like the Private IP address is wrong in the port mapping field of the Airport. When port forwarding you need to enter the IP address of the ISY here (config tab of Admin Console) so that the router understands what internal IP (your ISY) it should route traffic coming in from port 443 to.

In MobiLinc you would enter your router's EXTERNAL IP address for the HTTPS field and port 443 for the External Port. You can easily find your external IP address by going to http://whatismyip.com.

Hopefully some of this info helps. Please ask if you have more specific questions. The screenshots are excellent by the way.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby bmiller » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks Wes. It was just the one error. The private ip address was wrong. I wasn't sure if the address was correct in the DHCP reservation field, but everything appears to be working now. I may end up using mobile connect, but i had to try this out. What is the advantage of connect over this method if i'm using https?
Brad
bmiller

Postby AdminWes » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:40 am

Brad,

There are three main reasons:

1. Do not have to configure your network gear for port forwarding.
2. If your ISY or your ISP changes the IP assignment, the ISY reconnects to our servers automatically and your remote service is restored within seconds of the IP address change. If not using MobiLinc Connect, then the port forwarding rules would be broken and you'd have to update your router or the MobiLinc settings with the new external IP address.
3. Greater security. All data exchanged between the ISY and our servers and MobiLinc is encrypted. In addition MobiLinc requests are also authenticated to prevent unauthorized access. Also, since port forwarding is not necessary you get to keep your firewall/router secure by not opening up holes directly to your ISY for others to find and exploit.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments