can see status, cannot issue commands

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

can see status, cannot issue commands

Postby mac » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Using mobilinc pro v3.05.00 on iOS 5.0.1 (9A405), with isy99i with firmware 3.1.16.

On initial installation and configuration of mobilinc, everything works perfectly. With time, however, problems arise. If I start mobilinc cold, mobilinc sees status changes on devices immediately (if for instance I change the brightness of a device using the admin panel of the isy from my computer), but mobilinc cannot control the devices, scenes or programs.

Pull down to refresh seems to hang. Occasionally get network error message (error code 0).

Deleting and re-installing mobilinc fixes the issue, but is a real pain.

This problem has come up on two different iPhones, identically configured. They're not necessarily affected at the same time, however.

update: failure seems to happen maybe only on WiFi, not cellular (ip configured explicitly).
updated update: maybe not? after i experienced restored function on cellular, i switched back to WiFi and it worked there too...maybe unrelated?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
-M
mac

Re: can see status, cannot issue commands

Postby AdminWes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi M,

Network Error messages usually indicate that there is a wrong IP/port in MobiLinc that doesn't match your real ISY IP/port or that the port-forwarding rules in your router aren't routing to the right IP address.

The first thing to check is to verify the settings under My Settings-> Lighting Controller and confirm that they match your ISY's IP/Port settings under the Admin Console->Configuration tab. Also, verify that your port forwarding rules point to the right ISY IP address internal to your network so that you get reliable communication when you are on an external Wi-Fi source or connected via cellular.

Deleting and re-installing indicates that the IP addresses are changing as the re-install causes MobiLinc to auto-detect your ISY again. Another way to to create a new profile to force MobiLinc to auto-detect your ISY instead of deleting and re-installing.

Hopefully some of this helps,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mac » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:36 am

Wes-
I doubt that is an IP/port config issue. I see this issue when I'm on my local network, and I use a statically configured local IP, which hasn't changed. Also, as I said in the earlier post, often device status is properly reported and updated even when I can't issue commands, so mobilinc has some sort of active connection to the ISY.
Anything else I could check?
-M
mac

Postby AdminWes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:07 am

Hi M,

Can you post the exact error message you are seeing?

Another possibility is that the ISY configuration has changed (you've added or removed devices and scenes) and MobiLinc doesn't have all the latest info. Just to verify that MobiLinc is up to date please go to My Settings->Lighting Controller->Sync and perform an Update Only to preserve your favorites and custom command settings.

Does MobiLinc sync successfully?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mac » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Wes-
Usually there's no error message, but the behavior is as follows: I click a device icon or a scene icon from my favorites screen to turn a device or scene on, i get the little "i'm working" sweeping rays graphic over the icon for a long time (minutes), but no change in the device or scene.
If, however, i issue a command from the ISY web interface by computer, or an unaffected iPhone or iPad, or the device itself, mobilinc on the affected iPhone reflects the status change of the device or scene immediately.

If I pull down to refresh, I get "loading..." and the sweeping rays icon. If I keep the phone from locking, this can go on for several minutes. While this is displayed, status changes in devices and scenes are no longer reflected in mobilinc.

I can't seem to produce an error message at this point, but i'm currently getting the behavior just described.
mac

Postby AdminWes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi M,

I can't say I've seen a case like this before. I had one opposite case reported where they could issue commands but not receive status. They ended up rebooting their phone and it was fixed. If you haven't tried rebooting you phone, please give that a try.

Also, what iOS version is on the device in question?

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby mac » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:59 am

Using mobilinc pro v3.05.00 on iOS 5.0.1 (9A405), with isy99i with firmware 3.1.16.

rebooting the phone doesn't always make a difference. I see this behavior on two different phones.
mac

Postby AdminWes » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:08 am

Hi M,

Please upgrade to 3.1.17. UDI released this version about a week or so ago. There shouldn't be any status changes, but it's worth a shot. Before testing MobiLinc, please force quit MobiLinc so that it will start up clean to connect to your ISY.

If this doesn't change the behavior here are some other ideas:
- Did you ever install a custom SSL cert in your ISY? If you did, please re-install this cert and reboot the ISY.
- How many devices/computers do you have connected to your ISY? There are some limits to the number of active devices all hitting the ISY at the same time.
- We are running a beta test on our MobiLinc Connect service. If you wanted to try the latest MobiLinc version or give our no port-forward solution a try, you can sign-up here: http://forum.universal-devices.com/view ... =53&t=7790

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments