Mobilinc hangs

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Mobilinc hangs

Postby victorytl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 am

I am an experienced user of home automation to monitor my homes. I currently use HomeSeer w/HStouch, ElkM1 w/eKey, EverfocusDVR w/mobilfocus, and Pentair Controller w/Pentair over the internet on my iPhone. I use a cisco router configured to port forward to the appropriate host and use DynDns for DDNS service. All of these applications were easy to set up and just work the first time remotely over the internet.

I have installed an ISY99 w/Moblinc into a vacation home and have had nothing but problems connecting remotely. I have never been able to connect through my DDNS service. Until recently I have been able to connect by configuring MobilincPro by entering a numeric fixed WAN IP address (not a preferred method), now with the recent upgrade that doesn't even work. I know that all the ports are forwarded properly because I can connect remotely to the ISY from a MAC laptop just fine, the problem is strictly related to the iPhone app. I understand that you now offer Mobilinc Connect, most likely because nobody else could get it to work reliably either. However, many other companies have mastered the iPhone interface without resorting to a relay server, there is no reason Moblinc can't offer an easy reliable direct remote interface as well.
victorytl

Re: Mobilinc hangs

Postby AdminWes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:56 am

victorytl,

Something you should know about MobiLinc is that when connecting externally MobiLinc will enforce the use of SSL over the external connection (HTTPS). How are you port forwarding the data to your ISY? If you are forwarding to the ISY's unsecured port (80 is the default) then MobiLinc will not allow the connection to occur since it is unsecured.

If this describes your scenario please try changing the port forwarding settings to forward external data to the ISY's secure port (default is 443).

For a web browser test please try https://{YOUR_ROUTER_IP} to see if you are able to connect to your ISY. Please note the use of HTTPS as this mimics how MobiLinc would communicate to your ISY.

The security to your home is our top priority by enforcing secure connections while away from your home. It is also the reason for creating MobiLinc Connect. Most folks do not want to configure their network or take the time to do it correctly with proper security in place. MobiLinc Connect uses all the standard encryption and validation techniques to protect the data stream to your home while eliminating all network configuration requirements.

If the above does not work, please contact us directly at support@mobilinc.com and we'll dig in further.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments