ISY994i Network Resources

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

ISY994i Network Resources

Postby Goblin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:50 am

Hi Wes, I was googling a lot about ISY's "Network Resources" but was not be able to find any valuable information. It does says "the ISY can be used as a web server to server up your own applications, pictures and files" - what kind of "my own applications" I can serve? CGI? PHP? Perl? Further: "Network Resources – with the Network Module, the ISY allows you to call any network resource (TCP, UDP, HTTP, HTTPS) using ISY Programs." Note "ANY network resource" - does it mean I can send a HTTP string to a camera (pan/tilt, for example)? Can I get HTTP string from a camera? Can I access remote mailbox? Can I pind any network device and use a reply in "Run Then/Else"? Couldn't find anything.

Thank you,
Sergey
Goblin

Re: ISY994i Network Resources

Postby AdminWes » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi Sergey,

Hi Wes, I was googling a lot about ISY's "Network Resources" but was not be able to find any valuable information. It does says "the ISY can be used as a web server to server up your own applications, pictures and files" - what kind of "my own applications" I can serve? CGI? PHP? Perl?

HTTP for sure. As far as any other application, I'm not an expert. This is better asked in the UDI forums.

[url]Further: "Network Resources – with the Network Module, the ISY allows you to call any network resource (TCP, UDP, HTTP, HTTPS) using ISY Programs." Note "ANY network resource" - does it mean I can send a HTTP string to a camera (pan/tilt, for example)?[/url]

Yes.

Can I get HTTP string from a camera?

No.

Can I access remote mailbox?

No.

Can I pind any network device and use a reply in "Run Then/Else"? Couldn't find anything.

Not really. You currently can't use any responses from the web request, but you can call a Network Resource from a program. It's really a one way type of call designed to send data oneway or act as a trigger for some IP enabled device.

Hope that helps,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby AdminWes » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi Sergey,

Hi Wes, I was googling a lot about ISY's "Network Resources" but was not be able to find any valuable information. It does says "the ISY can be used as a web server to server up your own applications, pictures and files" - what kind of "my own applications" I can serve? CGI? PHP? Perl?

HTTP for sure. As far as any other application, I'm not an expert. This is better asked in the UDI forums.

Further: "Network Resources – with the Network Module, the ISY allows you to call any network resource (TCP, UDP, HTTP, HTTPS) using ISY Programs." Note "ANY network resource" - does it mean I can send a HTTP string to a camera (pan/tilt, for example)?

Yes.

Can I get HTTP string from a camera?

No.

Can I access remote mailbox?

No.

Can I pind any network device and use a reply in "Run Then/Else"? Couldn't find anything.

Not really. You currently can't use any responses from the web request, but you can call a Network Resource from a program. It's really a one way type of call designed to send data oneway or act as a trigger for some IP enabled device.

Hope that helps,
Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Goblin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Hmmm, then it seems useless for me at all :( OK, thank you, will try to find the other ways ;) Cuz, what a reason to send anything to a camera if I can't get the status of back?
Goblin

Postby AdminWes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:50 am

Not sure what your use scenario is for the camera, but there isn't any useful status returned from camera commands. PTZ camera's are really a one way call anyways. The only status returned is either a success or a failure response. If you have the IP:Port right then the majority of the time you'll get success. So, not really anything useful is ever returned.

Some folks use Motion sensors to trigger a program that sends a network command to a camera to move to a preset position as an example.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Goblin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:37 am

Hi Wes,

My primary goal with cameras is "arm/disarm" motion detection and/or email notification and/or "save video to FTP". As for today, I have to open up browser, login into camera interface and turn on/off all the stuff.
I've tried a number of cameras software packages as well - nothing good found for iOS yet, some Windows programs are good, but should I carry a laptop with me when come back home and turn off alarms from my car? :) I want something simpler and if ISY supported this I would go for it, probably.

BTW, I've found something at http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... _Resources, looking into it.
Thank you,
Sergey
Goblin

Postby AdminWes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:44 am

Should be able to do all that using Network Resources and Programs. Could even use MobiLinc to kick off the programs that call Network Resources. Should all be do-able.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Goblin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:56 am

Well, I could waste $300 if it doesn't work ;)
Goblin

Postby Goblin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:35 am

Wes,

Also found these CGI APIs for both MJPEG and H.264 cameras:
http://foscam.us/forum/cgi-api-for-mjpe ... t2986.html

Seems like I can use ISY to send HTTP requests to a camera right away :) Not sure if it will be possible to fetch some statuses because CGI returns something like "var variable_name='on'" and I'm not sure if it's possible to parse such strings in ISY :(

Also, a note about camera plugin: Foscam h.264 cameras have "JPEG image stream" (stream 3) that would be really cool if Mobilinc support it. I know, it's hard to decode h.264 stream, so it could be a solution for this time ;)

Thank you,
Sergey
Goblin

Postby AdminWes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi Serge,

We have a 100% no questions asked return policy for our equipment purchased under 30 days. If you aren't happy and we can't help make progress you can return the equipment purchased from us for a full refund. Please keep all boxes and manuals.

Seems like I can use ISY to send HTTP requests to a camera right away Not sure if it will be possible to fetch some statuses because CGI returns something like "var variable_name='on'" and I'm not sure if it's possible to parse such strings in ISY

It's a one way request. The ISY dumps all responses. You can't parse or use any response for any purpose. Just think of sending a one-way request. Can't use the response under the current firmware (3.2.6).

Also, a note about camera plugin: Foscam h.264 cameras have "JPEG image stream" (stream 3) that would be really cool if Mobilinc support it. I know, it's hard to decode h.264 stream, so it could be a solution for this time

The current plug-in should support it. If not, let me know at support@mobilinc.com and I'll work with you to create the proper profile to support that JPEG stream.

We are in the final testing stages for RTSP (H.264/MPEG/Sound) support. When we release the plug-in will be upgraded to support these more advanced streams.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Next

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments