ISY994i Network Resources

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Re: ISY994i Network Resources

Postby Goblin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:34 pm

Wes,

Greatly appreciate your answers!

Current Mobilinc camera plugin doesn't support Foscam 8608W "JPEG stream" (I selected "Foscam or Foscam variant" ) - there is just one "profile" to play with, but I would rather wait for the new plugin release than bother you with my issue right now.

Thank you, looking forward to buy ISY
Sergey
Goblin

Postby AdminWes » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:31 am

Thanks Seregy,

Let me know if you have any questions about our package deals on our site for the ISY:

http://mobilincstore.com/system.html

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Goblin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:14 pm

AdminWes wrote:Thanks Seregy,

Let me know if you have any questions about our package deals on our site for the ISY:

http://mobilincstore.com/system.html

Wes

Hi Wes, hope you doing well despite of GoDaddy's outage :) I'm thinking of purchase of "ISY-994i / PowerLinc Modem Combo" but I have a couple of questions.

1. While it says "PLM is Dual-band" I read somewhere it's advised to purchase an access point as well ... but why if it's already "dual-band"?
2. I've read that "basic" ISY-994i can be upgraded to IR version easily, if so, can you give me an idea how much it will cost? (Always looking forward!)
3. Also, they say I can upgrade to PRO version - again, no price mentioned :( Well, I feel comfortable with 256 devices right now cuz I have only about 15 :)
Goblin

Postby AdminWes » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:15 am

Hi Seregy,

1. While it says "PLM is Dual-band" I read somewhere it's advised to purchase an access point as well ... but why if it's already "dual-band"?

You need another RF receiving device on your other power phase to bridge the two power phases of your home together so that INSTEON signals travel to both sides of your power grid in your home. So, that either can be an Access Point or a Dual-Band device like the LampLinc Dual-Band device. If placed on the opposite phase of your electrical grid and it's within a room or two of the Dual-Band PLM, then that will successfully bridge your two phases.

2. I've read that "basic" ISY-994i can be upgraded to IR version easily, if so, can you give me an idea how much it will cost? (Always looking forward!)
3. Also, they say I can upgrade to PRO version - again, no price mentioned Well, I feel comfortable with 256 devices right now cuz I have only about 15

Both of these updates are done through the Universal-Devices website using the Admin Console software what comes with the ISY, the makers of the ISY-99x series INSTEON controllers. If I recall correctly the updates are $49 each.
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Goblin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:30 am

Hi Wes,

Thank you for clarification. Ordered isy+plm yesterday :) As for dual band/access point I understand. Had this issue at my place - bedroom completely on another phase, that's why I've ordered dual-band dimmer also.

Sergey
Goblin

Postby Goblin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:00 am

Wes,

By the way (about opposite phase). I know my bedroom on the opposite phase for 100%, and I had to place PLC into bedroom, otherwise I couldn't operate the switch from Mobilinc, however, KeypadLink (living room) can somehow communicate with bedroom switch (PLM turned off completely) w/o any problem. What it could be?
Goblin

Postby AdminWes » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:09 am

Hi Seregy,

Thank you! I did see your ISY order come through this morning.

The KeypadLinc and the bedroom switch are either both Dual-Band devices (phases won't matter) or both of these devices are on the same phase and thus, can communicate with each other through the powerline.

It sounds like these devices have links to each other. When you get your ISY setup, you'll want to add the devices to the ISY and select the option to "Remove existing links" when adding your devices. That way you allow the ISY to completely manage your devices through scenes in the PLM which is the recommended way to move forward from a point to point solution like you have now to a managed solution with the ISY+PLM.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby AdminWes » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:11 am

Seregy,

Update to my earlier comment:

Upgrade to Pro is $30.00
Upgrade to IR is $40.00. Plus IR cable purchase from UDI is required.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby Goblin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 pm

AdminWes wrote:Hi Sergey,
The KeypadLinc and the bedroom switch are either both Dual-Band devices (phases won't matter) or both of these devices are on the same phase and thus, can communicate with each other through the powerline.

Yeah, figured out my house power wiring ... it's really odd. KeypadLink is DB, but bedroom switch is not, but you're right, they are on the same phase ... The odd thing is that power outlets are on different phases and that's why PLM (probably) can't communicate with the bedroom switch while plugged-in the living room outlet (there are also the "noisy" computers, BAck-UPS, and CFMs so I had to find a "clean" outlet to plug-in a PLM). BUT this is odd to me as well: if PLM can "talk" to KeypadLink in the living room (RF or PL and it can for sure), and KeypadLink can communicate with the bedroom switch via powerline, then KeypadLink SHOULD "translate/forward" PLM's commands to the bedroom switch via powerline, but it doesn't :( Seems like I don't understand something ;)

It sounds like these devices have links to each other. When you get your ISY setup, you'll want to add the devices to the ISY and select the option to "Remove existing links" when adding your devices. That way you allow the ISY to completely manage your devices through scenes in the PLM which is the recommended way to move forward from a point to point solution like you have now to a managed solution with the ISY+PLM.

Yeah, I'll remove all existing links first for sure!

A couple of other things:

1. It seems like when 2 RF devices positioned perpendicular to each other - they can't communicate via RF (directional internal antennas?)

2. Would you like to open up a new thread where people will be able to share their ISY programs? I went through hundreds of threads and saw many useful tips/tricks/programs at http://forum.universal-devices.com/ Maybe this will be useful for you as well? Yeah, I do understand it's not your primary business, but ... Please advise.

3. For guys who're struggling with noisy outlets: I got tired running around my house with PLM with a hunk of cat-5 cable searching for a "clean" power outlet, so I bought Netgear WNCE2001 Ethernet bridge (works fine BTW), set it up, then connected to PLM ... no more wires to run with :) See attached.

Thank you,
Sergey
Attachments
plm_netgear.jpg
plm_netgear.jpg (47.52 KiB) Viewed 14032 times
Goblin

Postby AdminWes » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:03 am

Hi Sergey,

(there are also the "noisy" computers, BAck-UPS, and CFMs so I had to find a "clean" outlet to plug-in a PLM). BUT this is odd to me as well: if PLM can "talk" to KeypadLink in the living room (RF or PL and it can for sure), and KeypadLink can communicate with the bedroom switch via powerline, then KeypadLink SHOULD "translate/forward" PLM's commands to the bedroom switch via powerline, but it doesn't Seems like I don't understand something

What's likely happening is all the noise is causing your INSTEON devices to try harder than they should to send messages. Each INSTEON message has a fixed number of hops before they expire. So due to noise or incomplete bridging the hops will likely expire before the message reaches its destination.

You should really consider picking up a couple of FilterLincs to filter out your computers/UPS and any other noise generator to keep your power outlets clean. Filtering your computers is a very common practice and goes a long ways to establishing good reliable communication between all INSTEON devices.

http://mobilincstore.com/system/filterlinc.html

As for a separate forum for programs, we may do this to collect programs people find useful for MobiLinc. UDI's forum is better suited for program discussion since their forum is dedicated to ISY support and discussion whereas this forum is really for MobiLinc app support and help.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Previous

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments