Connection to ISY not always working

Post your MobiLinc comments and feedback here.

Connection to ISY not always working

Postby shesmer » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi,

I have the MobiLinc Pro on my iPhone5 and the ISY99 configured for http and a dyndns account. Everything works fine from the browser every single time.
My settings in the MobiLinc App are such that I have only filled out the https domain name with the standard port and as connect method I have selected "https".
When I manually sync in this screen everything works fine and I can use the app without any problems.

However, if I don't use the program for a while or I remove the app from memory and then start it again, IT DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE, until I do the manual sync again.

It doesn't work in the sense that all connections to the ISY fail. There are not status updates for any of my scenes, all my actions are not recognized and if I drag the screen down to get an update for just one scene or controller I get an error message.

Again, once I go back into settings and click sync it all works again for a little while

Can anyone help me ?
Thanks
Stephan
shesmer

Re: Connection to ISY not always working

Postby AdminWes » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Stephan,

Did you by chance install a custom self-signed cert at 2048-bit strength? The current version of MobiLinc does not wait long enough for the handshake to occur with the ISY (ISY is busy processing the 2048 bit connection when MobiLinc gives up). The next version of MobiLinc has an increased timeout period to allow for the 2048-bit delay.

If you did install a 2048-bit cert, please reduce the custom cert to 1024 or 512. An even better solution is to convert over and use MobiLinc Connect. That way you don't have to open up any ports through your firewall/router to gain access to your ISY with MobiLinc.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Postby shesmer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:13 pm

perfect. seems to work with 1024. of course I was going for the most secure option and used 2048.
shesmer

Postby AdminWes » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:37 am

Great, glad that was it. I would really recommend that you use MobiLinc Connect instead. We're not sure how usable the 2048 cert is since it takes the ISY approx 15 seconds to establish the initial handshake. In ortherwords if you use 2048 and MobiLinc, each time you start MobiLinc, MobiLinc has to wait for 15 seconds while the ISY is busy setting up the connection. You can't do anything else meaningful while MobiLinc waits.

The MobiLinc Connect connection is much faster than using the 2048 but cert plus it is fully encrypted and authenticated and you don't have to open any holes in your firewall/router for remote access.

Wes
AdminWes
Site Admin

Return to MobiLinc Feedback and Comments